PV6+; FactoryTalk View Studio Expression Error

qingrou

Using PV6+, FactoryTalk View Studio to talk with PLC

The expression error that keeps popping up are tag/10 or tag/100 (which doesn't make sense). The syntax checks are valid. The errors usually come up shortly after program start up or after not going to the page containing the tag for a while. Expression errors prompts the diagnostic screen to come up and is quite bothersome to the operators; grateful for any advice, Thanks.

qingrou,

It would be helpful for us if you stated what versions of FTV Studio and PVP6 you are using.

One suggestion is have you installed the latest RA patches/patch-rollup.

Can you grab a screenshot or a photograph ?

I think that "expression errors" can really be communication errors underneath, if the expression relies on a Tag that doesn't exist or whose comms status is bad.

You can disable the "jump to Diagnostic Display" function in FTView Studio. The malfunction will still happen, but it won't cause the Diagnostic display to appear.

We are using Factory talk view studio - view machine edition (release 10)

Image of expression error -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfkn-m-Zk4fJJjw6Palza1NTV_iRzZ05/view?usp=sharing

Valid if-else statements are also causing expression errors. So we thought the bug could be due to a communication error; however, tags not used in an expression do not experience the same bug. Another possible cause is type error, the PLC sends a DINT and is divided (by 10 or 100) in the Factory Talk program.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: