Studio 5000 v31 Tag-Based Alarms / Associated Tags?

Zlinger

Long time user of Studio 5000, first time user of v31. I am trying to use the new tag-based alarm feature. Works pretty slick in that you can add alarm definitions to tags within UDTs, and you do not have to use ALMD and ALMA instructions throughout the logic. FactoryTalk View SE picks up the alarms automatically.

However, I cannot figure out a way to get unique messages for each instance of an alarm if it's in a UDT. The message typed in to the editor is pushed to every instance. I wouldn't want to type in individual messages for all of my valves anyway, but I also don't want the alarms for multiple valves to simply read "Valve failed to open." I need it to say "Valve 1 (or whatever number) Failed to open."

In the message editor, there is the option to add five pre-defined variables, but none of these work to identify which valve has failed. I thought input value might work, but it is just the value of the input tag, not the name of the input tag.

There is also the option to add an associated tag. The only Rockwell documentation that I seem to be able to find says that this is "Up to four Tags that may be included in the text of the Digital Alarm message." Seems like this might be what I need, but I cannot get it to work for the life of me. I type in a tag name, and it always says invalid. There is no option to browse to a tag. I've called tech support twice, but they don't know how to use this feature either unfortunately.

Anyone out there been able to get associated tags to work? Is there some special syntax that needs to be used or something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I do realize that in FTV SE, I can display the name of the tag that is in alarm, and this would work, but it is quite a long string, and not really what I'm after.

I haven't been able to find a ton of information on the tag based alarms even though it's been introduced several years ago.

I've used Associated Tags before with the ALMA and ALMD. Think if you have a high level alarm you might want to know what the status of a couple valves was when the alarm occurred. It would capture not only the tag I was alarming but also the status of these other "associated" tags. But I was always able to browse for the tags. This was pre v31. I haven't used it on anything newer.

OG