You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 21st, 2003, 06:10 PM   #1
bob1371
United States

Angry RS LOGIX 500 install problems

Hello,
I just purchased a new laptop for work and trying to install RS Logix 500 ver 5.00.00.
I have the original install CD and the Key diskette and had been using this on older laptop with windows 98.
The new laptop has windows XP Professional and when I do the install I get an error saying the software must be installed on Win NT4.0 with service pack 4.0 or higher. ( I know this isnt true because I have been running it on win98 for about a year.)
If I use windows XP compatability mode set for Win NT service pack 5 I still get same message.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Terry Woods
United States

Did you try setting the compatability mode to '95 or '98?
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:18 PM   #3
bob1371
United States

Yeah I did, I tried all the different modes with no problem.
Reinstalled onto my old laptop, again with no problems. Must
be a windows XP issue. Have sent email to AB but so far no reply.
thanks
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM   #4
bob1371
United States

correction to last post

Sorry.. I ment to say I tried all other modes and got the same problem. same error message.

reinstall on old laptop and all worked great..
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:27 PM   #5
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Version 5.00.00 will NOT install on XP, you must update to version 5.20.00 or higher, I believe the latest version is 5.50.00 If you have a 4.5 version it might install. If you have the maintenance contract active you can go online to obtain the latest version of RSLogix.

I say will not but there is a file you can obtain from the AB Knowledgebase that is used to uninstall ver 5.00.00 from a computer that has been upgraded to XP, this file in some cases will allow ver 5.00.00 to install. I had no success with it though and had to wait till ver 5.20.00 came out.

Last edited by rsdoran; March 21st, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Terry Woods
United States

Lap-Tops are notorious for have compatability problems.

I believe this is because most Lap-Tops are "canned", that is, from Dell, or the Cow-Folks, or...

They have their own BIOS and various other "unique" characteristics.

I seen many questions posted about the same sort of thing... no, I don't have an answer.

Although, one possibility just came to mind (there I go again... workin' without tools!)...

Anyway, XP is 32-bit oriented... I'll bet that AB software is 16-bit oriented. That is part of the reason XP has that compatibility mode thingee. I don't know... what do you think?
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:38 PM   #7
rsdoran
United States

Technically Terry even though XP is based on the NT kernel it is a "new" OS. RSLogix is windows based software but there are differences in the kernels that have to be supported by the software when it is written.

NOTE: I use the term "new" to be descriptive because I cannot think of a better term.

Also this is not just an AB issue, my Siemens Simatic S7 software isnt supported in XP and I went thru hoops to get it to work on my XP laptop.

The only windows based program I have had no issues in XP with is DirectSoft32.
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:46 PM   #8
bob1371
United States

Smile

Thanks to all for the info, I will look into the AB knowledge base. If anything comes to mind or I find anything I will share.
Thanks
Bob

btw...this is my first time on this site. Great response from all. I will be sure to come back.
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:39 PM   #9
jrwb4gbm
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Do you have Windows 98 available? I think you can install it on a computer that has XP already installed on it in a dual boot mode.Then when you start up your computer it will let you boot to Windows 98 or XP. Choose Windows 98. Then try your install.
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM   #10
rsdoran
United States

Just an FYI

XP uses NTFS (FAT ie File Allocation Table) which windows 98 cannot be installed on. To install Win9x you would first have to create a FAT16 or FAT32 type format. The simplest way to do this is obtain a version of PartitionMagic from Powerquest.com. A demo version can be downloaded at: http://www.powerquest.com/downloads/eval-soho.cfm
I think the demo version will work in full for a short period of time.

Duel booting is a viable alternative especially if you have need of programs that run in DOS which Win9x offers a better option for.
Old March 21st, 2003, 08:09 PM   #11
Rick Densing
United States

RSLogix is 32 bit. I don't know what the compatability is. I know that if you had it on a computer and upgraded to XP, it would work. It just would not install. I believe that XP handles DLL's differently.

One caveat with upgrading- remove your activation before converting the file system from FAT to NTFS, it will stop working otherwise. You can reinstall it after you are done.
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:10 PM   #12
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

There's a big honking "XP Compatibility Matrix" featured on the Rockwell Software website. It says, quite correctly, that RSLogix 500 version 5.20 at a minimum is required for installation on Windows XP.

RSLogix 500 checks the environment variable and ON PURPOSE, version 5.00 will not install on Windows XP. XP wasn't released for another several months after RSLogix 500 version 5.00 was, and the designers decided that rather than deal with thousands of untestable XP installs that they would simply prevent the software from installing on any OS'es that reported an unrecognized version number.

There have been a couple of workarounds mentioned, which *might* work for you, but it is best to simply get the current revision of RSLogix 500.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM   #13
bob1371
United States

Thanks for all the info. I went with the dual boot route and all working ok.
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:04 AM   #14
Buhsman

I had the same problem, so I tried installing an older version(4.10.01), and it installed without any problems.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum