ABB ACH580 to Compact Logix- EIP always the better choice?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I rarely need to add a network card to the drives we install... very rarely. But my sales-guy said he needs to quote a network-connected ACH580 drive to a Compact Logix PLC. He presented me with an ABB quote of both the FEIP card and the FENA card. Out of reflex, I was about to answer him the FEIP card, but then I remembered that the last time I connected 3 ACS880s to a Compact Logix, I used FENA cards (2019). I can't remember why I chose the Ethernet cards over the EIP. You guys see this choice much more than I do. Do you have a preference? I'm guessing that since it's Rockwell, you'll say Ethernet I/P. Is that the case? Your thoughts?

In this thread, Ken Roach says that the FENA supports Ethernet/IP, along with Profinet and Modbus TCP. Google agrees with him. So it doesn't appear to me to be a case of "ethernet" vs "ethernet/IP"

Google tells me that:
The Google said:
The F-series FEIP-21 is a 2-port EtherNet/IP adapter module supporting for ODVA AC/DC drives profiles and ABB drives profiles. This module contains the embedded switch for Device Level Ring (DLR) therefore saving your time and cost to buy and install an extra switch.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the FEIP is a newer module, designed exclusively for Ethernet/IP, with some modern niceties like DLR support.

Based on that information (and my naked assumptions) alone, I'd be inclined to head toward the FEIP for that application.

Keep in mind that, as well as making assumptions based on very quick googles searches, I've never used an ABB drive with a fieldbus module in my life, so I'm not necessarily a reliable source.

Ok, that all makes sense. Yes, the FEIN seems new. It's a little cheaper, and the lead time is slightly less... although all cards currently have huge lead times. I hadn't realized that the FENA also supports Profinet. At some point I should grab one for my shop to do a Siemens lab, as well as a Rockwell practice lab.

Thanks!

Another option is you are looking for alternatives since the ACH580 has native BacNet MS?TP and Modbus RTU support is to use a BacNet (Or Modbus RTU) to EtherNet/IP gateway.

I've used rtautomation gateways as well as the SMC/Fieldserver/Prosoft gateways.

Yeah, the customer requested communication to a Compact Logix. That card is around $200, and I'm sure they are using EIP everywhere else in the plant.

But... I'm a little surprised that I've never had the opportunity (or need) to work with BACnet. I don't work for a building automation company, although I replace and work on plenty of HVAC drives. I've never had the opportunity to add a new drive to a BACnet system, and thus have never had the experience of setting up the BACnet communication from scratch. I'm curious, because I want to know a little bit about everything, but the opportunity to learn and use that skill has not presented itself yet. Maybe someday.

The gateways that mentioned do ethernet ip to the plc. If the abb card is that cheap and not a long leadtime then for sure get it.

Ive integrated bacnet via gateways before. From that level, its about the same as setting up modbus.