CSA requirements

PLC

I’m looking at designing a drive system for a machine in Canada
I plan on using a drive isolation transformer as a feed to the drive cabinet.
Besides the normal independent drive fuses/main breaker etc does CSA require a surge protection/mov type at the main or at each drive ?

First, it would be best if the drive has CSA certification. That will go a log way to easing your pain.

We haven't been CSA certified for long but you can't go wrong following the manufacturer's directions. Hopefully the documentation has a section for CSA installations. Sometimes these are combined UL/CSA chapters at the end of the installation manuals.

Or call the drive manufacturer and ask if there are any CSA specific guides.

We have changed components for CSA panels because the originals were not CSA Listed.

CSA and I think there is a UL csa label too. Make sure your UL components are UL/csa.

Also, maybe get the panel you make UL listed.

The inspectors in canada are picky. Best make sure to do your homework on front end, otherwise the CSA inspector will pick it apart.

CSA and I think there is a UL csa label too.

Yes, ULc is almost universally accepted as a substitute for a CSA certification in my experience.

EDIT: I've seen all of the following marks for ULc/cUL:

Marks-1.png

Last edited:
This is the only section in the manual that references CSA
Just curious what others have seen or done regarding this CSA compliance- specifically whats highlighted

Im hoping some of our Canadian members chime in

csa.jpg

Just curious what others have seen or done regarding this CSA compliance- specifically whats highlighted

Disclaimer that I'm not a CSA expert, but I don't recall ever seeing separate MOVs installed before a VFD, but I know that some drives (AB in particular) do have protective MOVs and capacitors built in. I'm looking at shop drawings for a VFD panel from a CSA certified panel shop and I only see line/load reactors on this particular project.

Yes, ULc is almost universally accepted as a substitute for a CSA certification in my experience.

EDIT: I've seen all of the following marks for ULc/cUL:

Marks-1.png

We have some customers that will not take our cUL listing and insist on CSA. I think it depends on where the final installation is and how nationalistic they are there.

If the manual says to use surge suppression for CSA installations then any CSA inspector worth half their weight in back bacon is going to want to see them installed. It doesn’t matter what other manufacturers do, when a mfg puts that in their manual, that means that when they had the unit inspected/tested for CSA they had the surge suppressors in the circuit and so they are a condition of use for their drives in CSA applications.

If the manual says to use surge suppression for CSA installations then any CSA inspector worth half their weight in back bacon is going to want to see them installed. It doesn’t matter what other manufacturers do, when a mfg puts that in their manual, that means that when they had the unit inspected/tested for CSA they had the surge suppressors in the circuit and so they are a condition of use for their drives in CSA applications.

I would take this advice over anything I said, better safe than sorry.

Maybe it would be worth your time to get a name of the CSA inspector in the area this panel is going in, to bless your drawings as it relates to this section. Otherwise its a guessing game in what the inspector will pass or fail.