mbps to tags calculation

justthecowboy

We are having a new Backhaul/Backbone radio network installed. I want to do some real world testing on the system at time of acceptance testing.

In Rockwell when FactoryTalk Linx polls a Real Tag is it a straight forward calculation of 32 bits data plus overhead for tag name. Does any one know what the overhead is ?
Example: PLC with 1,000 tags, is it 32 bits plus 64 bits for name and house keeping. is it then 96x1,000 = .960 Mbps.
So if the tag count went up to 10,000 would it be 9.60 mbps.
Add 4 more PLC's would I be at 50mbps usage on my network.

Thanks
Cowboy

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

You've got TCP overhead, and a single read won't be able to handle 10,000 tags.

Rather than guessing, just use a tool like Wireshark to figure out what real world traffic looks like. It will give you byte count.

I need to make real world test

I can use the load up feature in the Cambium Radio to do a radio link test, but I need to built a test for real world so I was looking for a starting point.
I will have 5 L83's on the ring and want to pull real world data into FactoryTalk.
I am going to pull data from them with Factory Talk Live Data Test Client, pulling random tags out or sequential tags. Each PLC will have a word shift moving down a timer acc value. I have done this small scale with serial radios but this is a high speed ring that I want to load up.