I have retired!

I am out at last too at 68 years old!
Congrats! It sounds like you did well working on your own.

Reinvented myself as an independent consultant after being "dumped" at 59 years old [too old, not enough skills or knowledge, overpaid, etc.] and it turned out to be very profitable, rewarding though stressful existence.
Yes, with extra responsibility come stress. Hopefully you are financially secure.

I only now wish I had been independent from the takers many years ago!
You are second guessing yourself. In my case I was "laid off or fired" back in 1985 so I was forced to sink or swim. I could have gone for the "life saver" at Northrup I mentioned above. I would have been another cog in the wheel. Sometimes it is good to get kicked out of your comfort zone. I took a huge pay cut when I came to Delta. In the end it turned out well.

I still feel kind of under utilized. I have code and algorithms that it will probably take 10 or more years for the software guys to implement if they understand it. This concerns me. No one seems to what to get into the algorithms at Delta.

What if I had got into quantum mechanics or string theory. So many what ifs. Now I am second guessing.

Congrats! It sounds like you did well working on your own.

Yes, with extra responsibility come stress. Hopefully you are financially secure.

You are second guessing yourself. In my case I was "laid off or fired" back in 1985 so I was forced to sink or swim. I could have gone for the "life saver" at Northrup I mentioned above. I would have been another cog in the wheel. Sometimes it is good to get kicked out of your comfort zone. I took a huge pay cut when I came to Delta. In the end it turned out well.

I still feel kind of under utilized. I have code and algorithms that it will probably take 10 or more years for the software guys to implement if they understand it. This concerns me. No one seems to what to get into the algorithms at Delta.

What if I had got into quantum mechanics or string theory. So many what ifs. Now I am second guessing.

better to have what ifs after accomplishing so much, as opposed to having no regrets while having been content with doing bare minimum.