AB E-3 Plus keeps tripping

You should meet him some time he'll tell you all about why Rslogix 5 is better than Studio 5000.

He's a hoot!

I can get him together with some of the electricians that we have at the mill here (been here > 25 years) who would definitely side with him on that... Down with AOI's and aliases!!

E3 Plus Changeouts

We're working out methods for updating DeviceNet E3s for several customers. It depends on the individual bucket. Sometimes a E300 goes in just fine, other times in small buckets the extra depth is a problem. Rockwells idea seems to be to sell you a new sheet metal bucket front for $1500 that is swelled out to give you the space. I understand that somebody in this area has crammed an E300 into the space but the bucket door is pushed against the overload.

Schneider's Tesys T overload is as deep as the E3 but it has the Ethernet cable coming out the front so it won't work. There are also issues with wiring compatibility on the discrete inputs. And yes, it would require a programming change.

We're researching another alternative from another manufacturer to be able to give customers choices.

I put in a lot of E3s. Some of them used the 2100 Ethernet converter in each bucket. I liked the E3s but was not at all fond of the Ethernet converter. I've got an E300 in the shop and I really like how it communicates. The Rockwell provided EDS file is very good and I love the EDS upload. Complaints seem to center around physical size, availability, and cost.

For the buckets I wrote the document for, the E300 is about a 1/4 inch deeper, but all they had to do was remove the never used reset "button" on the front of the bucket, and they fit.

I can get him together with some of the electricians that we have at the mill here (been here > 25 years) who would definitely side with him on that... Down with AOI's and aliases!!

I've only used an AOI once, since everything I work on is an upgrade most of my job consists of updating code from 5/500s and adding new IO.

Aliases... my thoughts on those would be just censored stars.