PanelView Message Display Colors

Pegleg

Hello,

I have been lurking here for awhile and can usually find the answers to my problems. I'm doing my first PanelView application using FactoryTalk View Studio, and I'm struggling with finding the answer to this one. I decided it was time to join!

Is there a way to change the background and text color of a Message Display based upon the control tags integer value?
I would like to have our regular operating messages with green backgrounds, warning messages in Yellow, and faulted messages in Red.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

First, let's be sure we're talking about the same thing. When you say "Message Display", do you mean a Local Message Display object, or a Multi-State Indicator, or something else ?

In general, the background "panel" color of a Message Display is configured in the General Properties tab, and does not have a Connection to a PLC tag.

The lists of Messages are nothing but a table of Values and Message Text; there are no color, font, or format settings in the Message List files.

That leaves Animation as a way to change the appearance of those objects, and as you've probably seen, the only Animation that can be applied to a Local Message Display is a tag to control the visibility.

So in general, you could have three overlapping Message Displays of different color backgrounds and purposes (operation, warning, fault) but you can't have the same display with a different color depending on the tag value that drives it.

A Multi-State Indicator, or a List Indicator, are different sorts of objects: every State of those can have its own text and color and font. But they're harder to edit in bulk, compared to a Local Message object.

Thank you Ken.

I was playing around with both Local Message Display and Information Message Display. They appear to have a similar type of setup.

The Multi-State Indicator will do what I need.