Panel View 800 to Mitsubishi FX5U

Kab85

Hi all,
My company is cleaning out the shop and I came across a Mitsubishi FX5U, a ethernet/ip module for the FX5, a PanelView 800 HMI and a Lenze i550 ethernet/ip enabled drive. I was hoping to Frankenstein these components togethor to make something useful.

I'm having trouble communicating between the Panelview 800 HMI and the FX5U. I am attempting to do this over Modbus TCP because I read that PV800 won't communicate with anything outside of the AB family over ethernet ip and that modbus would be the most likely to work.

Does anyone know if it is even possible to incorporate a Panelview into a system other than AB? Am I wasting my time with it? Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the communications side of things and am trying to teach myself but, unfortunately, I am a pretty long ways from being anywhere near competent enough to teach myself.

Hi there Kab85 and welcome to the forum. Very hilarious the expression to "Frankenstein" old equipment:ROFLMAO:. I will try to give you some guideline, but I am afraid you will be left wanting. I do not know enough about either of the products you mention, however I do know an thing or two about EtherNet/IP.

In the case of Panel View, this product is optimized for communication with Rockwell controllers and normally this is done over EtherNet/IP but this term requires further qualification because EtherNet/IP has many mechanisms for communication. All Rockwell PLCs support something called symbolic messaging, meaning that the HMI sends read or write requests to specific tags in the PLC program, to which the PLC provides suitable replies. On the other hand, it is most likely that the Mitsubishi device is an EtherNet/IP adapter, which like a smart IO. EtherNet/IP adapters normally do not support symbolic messaging and normally only support implicit messaging (or what used to be called IO messaging) through data assemblies. EtherNet/IP adapters thus normally need an EtherNet/IP scanner. If the Panelview supports EtherNet/IP scanner function you may be able to communicate with the Mitsubishi device. If the Panelview does not support EtherNet/IP scanner function but if it supports configuration of get attribute single or set attribute singles explicit messaging commands, if you can also find out the assembly instances supported by the Mitsubishi device, then it should be possible to communicate the two and do something useful. But explicit messaging is slower than implicit messaging, thus the performance may not be as good as when using a PLC.

Hope the above makes sense.

These are the built in Ethernet coms capabilities.
socket communication, file transfer using FTP, Web server (HTTP), SNTP client, and simple CPU communication function.
No idea if the Panelview will support the FX5 however, I believe that the panelview does use Kepware drivers, kepware is capable of communicating with most PLC manufacturers, however, it will depend on how old it is it may not support the FX5 as it is one of the later platforms.

Wow, I appreciate the help everyone! These comments will give me a direction to research.

I'm not sure what symbolic or implicit messaging is although I do remember seeing the term implicit messaging in the ethernet/ip's configuration software. I'll look into it and see if it doesn't open up some doors.

I downloaded the Panelview's eds file and installed in the fx5enet card but when I opened up the eds file to look at it, there was no assembly language, only the manufacturer's meta data and icon data. I think I need to do some deeper digging into the eds files. Looking through them, there are a lot of revisions so maybe I installed the wrong one.

As far as the Kepware suggestion, thank you. I want to get into scada and server systems so this seems like as good a time as any to explore.

Symbplic messaging means asking for the PLC data by providing a tag name instead of a memory address. Implicit messaging is IO messaging, like PDO (process data object) in EtherCAT, or cyclic messaging in Profnet, IO messaging in DeviceNet. Implicit messaging is communication that provides access to process data and is meant to be very fast and have minimum overhead.

Now you mention the EDS file of the PanelView. So the PanelView is an EtherNet/IP adapter and the fx5enet is an EtherNet/IP scanner? If so, the setup would be for impicit messaging but with the opposite structure of my explanation, that is the fx5enet would be the scanner and the PanelView the adapter.
Also, EDS is not assembly language. It is ASCII code in a syntax defined in the CIP specification.

Kab85, I now think the EDS file for the panel view is only for RSLinx to be able to get the communication parameters and graphic data. I do not think PanelView would be an EtherNet/IP adapter.

The Kepware drivers that come with the RW software (if they still do it) would have to be newer than Version 6, I have version 6 & there is no driver for the FX5 only the FX3 & Q, however, this is not to say it will not work, I have never used the Kepware on a panelview only linx so cannot give any advice, I do know that Kepware works on the FX3U.