CompactLogix communication problem

tjntjntjn

Hello,
I have CompactLogix 1769-L27ERM and I can not communicate with it using Ethernet port (1 or 2). Just to clarify exactly what is going on. I have no problems with communication via USB port on the CompactLogix. I can see it in RSLinx. I can make online changes and upload and/or download program using USB port but when I want to use any of two built in Ethernet ports I can only see this CompactLogix in RSLinx. My PC (RSLinx) is seeing it but RSLogix does not allow me to upload/download program. Please, look at the picture from attached link. It's the highlighted one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa4zixy7l7emqyn/CompactLogix.jpg?dl=0

You have to make sure that the firmware version in the Logix Studio program and the actual firmware version in the 1769-L27ERM are exactly the same.

You have to make sure that the firmware version in the Logix Studio program and the actual firmware version in the 1769-L27ERM are exactly the same.
I'm sure this is not the problem. Like I said, I'm able to do everything using USB connection and if this was firmware and/or program version issue USB port would also not allow me to go online or upload/download program. It would show me message that I have to update firmware of the controller or update RSLogix.

Are the PLC and the PC configured in compatible subnet and are you sure there is no other device using the PLC's IP address?

RSLinx sends multicast list identity requests. If there is a non EtherNet/IP device with the same IP address as the PLC, RSLinx will show the PLC but may not be able to do unicast communication with the PLC.

Have you tried to expand the device in the RSLinx tree and see if there is something shown at a lower level that will allow you to connect?

Keith

My PC (RSLinx) is seeing it but RSLogix does not allow me to upload/download program.

Thanks for that concise description and the screenshot, which shows that you've selected the top-level icon for the CompactLogix and haven't "drilled down" to create an invalid network -> controller -> backplane -> controller CIP path.

And "does not allow" means that the usual [Go Online], [Upload], [Download], and [Update Firmware] buttons are grayed out, leaving only [Close] and [Help].

The icon and information text shown by the RSLinx browse all look correct. I even checked to verify 100% that you are seeing the "1769-L3x.ico" icon pointed to by the EDS file for that controller model.

I did find one Knowledgebase document from the v16 era that suggested that RSLogix could get confused about which version of the editor to launch, leading to a "all buttons grayed out" situation, and you could launch the editor version manually.

Another Knowledgebase document lays out all the possible other things that could get hosed up in RSLinx and RSLogix that lead to this.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/37399

As far as I can tell, you're doing everything right. You've just got something crossthreaded in the software and have to back it out and try again.