Contollogix L82E firmware flashing problems

CoventryKid

Can't install firmware higher than v29 on an L82E CPU
Fails at end when polling for power up
AB-CIP pop-up reads 'Failed to communicate with the target device. The communications request timed out.'
(Using ControlFLASH 15.03)
Anyone have any ideas?

I've experienced this with some devices when in reality, the flash was successful. If you right click on the controller in RSLinx and select Device Properties, can you verify what firmware revision it is reporting. I think if it made it to the end and was polling for power-up, it did actually flash successfully.

Thanks for reply- The CPU repeatedly scrolls round power up test etc.
I did think the same as yourself when I used CompactFLASH plus as the plus version said completed but didn't wait for report back.
v29 loads no problem but client spec for new projects is v33
(both v31 & v33 = no joy!)

Have you tried performing the update using USB? Or if you are using USB, have you tried Ethernet?

Do you have another controller that is successful when performing this same update?

I'm thinking if you had another controller that was successful you could use the SD card from that unit to perform the upgrade on the troublesome controller.

OG

Tried both USB & Ethernet on CPU plus tried routing through from adjacent EN2T Ethernet module using both USB & Ethernet on EN2T module.
Also tried CPU in a different slot (ok for v29!)
Would've said maybe file size but in log file all downloading is successful until reset/polling for power up.
May have to bite the bullet and queue up on the tech support phone line tomorrow!

Thanks CC - Stage 2 reset applied after each failed attempt. - Resets back to factory defaults & v1.045 firmware.

OG - will be going to office later in week so will try SD card approach if another L82 controller available.

Thanks all for replies. If I find out cause/solution I'll post it here.

Went to office - no L8 CPUs available to experiment with.
Spoke to Rockwell Tech Support who said it must be a faulty CPU
Waiting for a replacement - may take some time - some equipment on a 6 week lead time here in the UK!

I once had a customer provided L82E that would flash fine, the problem was that the longer the PLC ran, the more the ethernet would bog down, to a point where I couldn't connect to it, either from the ports on the card or a seperate ethernet card in the same rack, it wasn't even in production, I was testing in my office. Turns out it was quite faulty and the customer got it from a third party for half off. (I wonder why!)