RIO Communication

Aderaleau

I have a Panelview 550 that I am converting to a Panelview Plus 700 with a Rslogix5 plc, the communication is with RIO. I have never done a setup for this before. I have already converted the program from Panelbuilder 32 to Factorytalk view studio. I am having an issue trying to set up the communication for the new PV. I believe that I have to set up the block transfers, in PB the address are set as N but in FT they are B, do i have to switch things?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Unfortunately you've chosen an old and clumsy conversion for your first post. I was one of the experts on this syntax and troubleshooting... 19 years ago.

Let's take a step back: the PV+ needs a RIO adapter, which was the 2711P-RN6 daughtercard for the old pre-PV+6 hardware. The PV+6 and 7 hardware doesn't support those daughtercards.

What hardware and firmware on the PV+ terminal will you be running ?

Examine your PLC-5 program and document exactly which Input and Output data elements are assigned to the PanelView Standard, and which N-files are used by BTR and BTW instructions in your PLC-5 program.

"N" and "B" files are essentially the same in PLC-5, they're both 16-bit flat data files. The principal difference is in whether your consider them bit-by-bit or as a whole 16-bit signed integer.

Where do you see "the N files are shown as B files" difference ?

Screenshots that are scaled, trimmed, saved as PNG and attached to posts are a great way to share that sort of information with the Forum.

And again, welcome !

Ken,
If the daughter cards are not available for newer hardware, I have used a Prosoft conversion module that connects to a PVP+6 over Ethernet. I want to say it was RIO to Ethernet but it may have been DH+.

FWIW, the setup was fairly straight forward and it has a web server interface where you setup the comms.

If the OP is unable to find a solution, I can post the specifics of the module I used in the AM.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Unfortunately you've chosen an old and clumsy conversion for your first post. I was one of the experts on this syntax and troubleshooting... 19 years ago.

Let's take a step back: the PV+ needs a RIO adapter, which was the 2711P-RN6 daughtercard for the old pre-PV+6 hardware. The PV+6 and 7 hardware doesn't support those daughtercards.

What hardware and firmware on the PV+ terminal will you be running ?

Examine your PLC-5 program and document exactly which Input and Output data elements are assigned to the PanelView Standard, and which N-files are used by BTR and BTW instructions in your PLC-5 program.

"N" and "B" files are essentially the same in PLC-5, they're both 16-bit flat data files. The principal difference is in whether your consider them bit-by-bit or as a whole 16-bit signed integer.

Where do you see "the N files are shown as B files" difference ?

Screenshots that are scaled, trimmed, saved as PNG and attached to posts are a great way to share that sort of information with the Forum.

And again, welcome !

Unfortunately I didn't have a choice in this project, the equipment here is well over due for an upgrade. But the PV+ 700 I was told to use does have a 2711P-RN6 card attached to it, again this is what my boss told me to use. I attached two pictures one of the existing PB32 comm setup and one of the FT I was building and tying to set up per what i have found on the web to do. Any help would be greatful.

FT_Comm.png PB32_Comm.png