RSLinx 2.54 Install problems

Doug W

Greetings,

This is my first post here. I am in an endless installation loop. I am running RSLogix 6.30.00 (CPR 6) and until today RSLinx 2.43 something. I attempted to talk to a Micrologix 1100 today and had no luck connecting. I downloaded an EDS file for Micrologix 1100, still no luck.

I found out from Tech support that I needed to update to a newer version of RSLinx to talk to the 1100. I tried to install RSLinx 2.54 but the installation freezes near the end. A day of searching the Internet has shown many solutions, none of which worked for me.

Attempting to uninstall RSLinx 2.54 in an attempt to get RSLinx Lite installed doesn't work either..

A couple of times either version seems to have installed OK but then RSLinx will not start up. All the other apps that come along with RSLinx work.

I would appreciate any suggestions and hope that no PLC problems come up this weekend at the plant because I can't talk to any PLCs at the moment.

Thanks for your time,
Doug W

If you are using Windows XP you can restore to a Restore Point and get back to where you were before you started down this path.

After you do that I would suggest uninstalling RSLinx, rebooting and then installing the new version.

Can you verify for us what O/S you are using?

OG

OG,

Hello,

I am using XP Pro SP2. Great suggestion about the restore point. I just restored and have RSLinx 2.43 running again which covers the majority of our PLCs in the plant so I will be covered for any weekend PLC emergencies.

Aside from the fact that I could only get RSLinx 2.54 to install in about 1 out of every 6 attempts, I wonder if I was leaving out the Activation step??? Is that why nothing happened when I tried to start RSLinx 2.54 or does it start up and tell you that it needs to be activated?

At any rate I am set til Monday thanks to your help.

Regards,
Doug

Thanks again OG for helping to get my laptop functioning again. Before I make another attempt at installing a newer version of RSLinx, let me explain what I did:

This happens if I am trying to install RSLinx lite 2.50 or RSLinx 2.54:

1. The installation hangs right at the end with the progress bar showing complete but with the NEXT or FINISH button still greyed out.

2. I learned from Internet searches that this is often caused by WFCU.EXE (Windows Firewall Configuration Utility)-the solution here is to bring up task manager (CTL ALT DEL) and end the process WFCU.EXE. The installation appears to finish at this point.

3. I have tried both rebooting the computer and not rebooting at this point.

4. Start RSLinx from the START button. (nothing happens - both RSLinx Lite 2.50 and RSLinx 2.54).

Question here is: should I have gone through the activation process at this point or should RSLinx be prompting me to go throgh the activation process?

Thanks,
Doug

All version of RSLinx will default to RSLinx Lite without the activation.

If all you are trying to do is use the programming software then RSLinx Lite is all you need.

Mickey,

I found in other threads that we will need RSLogix 7 and at least RSLinx 2.50 to communicate with the Micrologix 1100. We currnently have RSLogix 6.30.00 (CPR 6).

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=12399
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=9514

Maybe our version of RSLogix is not compatible with RSLinx 2.50 and up although if that is the case, it would be nice to get a warning when trying to install.

To further complicate issues the license for RSLogix is in the name of the engineering company that designed and built our plant so a tranfer of license would be needed for us to update.

On Monday I will throw the whole situation in other people's lap to see if they want to spend some money.

Thanks for the response,
Doug