Contrologix IO Tree and HMI Units

The Plc Kid

So I am doing a project with 4 10 inch Panelview plus units and 3 17 inch versaview panels. The Panelviews are running ME and the 3 versaviews are running SE.

The panelviews are for specific location 2-3 screen HMI control and the versaview units have the entire machine project about 80 screens.

So I have a few Questions

1.0 I see where the panelview can be added to the IO tree. Should I do this? What is the avantage of adding them? They are working well now without being added.

2.0 Can the versaview units running SE be added? I did not see a way to do so. It would be good just as kind of a documet to what is on the system I think.

The panelviews show up in Linx but the versaview units don't so thats why I was looking for a way to maybe add them to the IO tree.

Both answers are "No", for terminals connected over Ethernet.

The PanelView terminals you see available in the I/O tree are for PanelView Standard terminals, not PV+. Those terminals had an I/O object they could connect to the ControlLogix over EtherNet/IP but the PV+ terminals do not.

When you browse an EtherNet/IP network with RSLinx Classic, what you're seeing on the PV+ terminals is the RSLinx Enterprise EtherNet/IP driver. It responds to Browse functions on the network, so it shows up as an icon.

A FactoryTalk View SE client station probably won't be running RSLinx Enterprise, so it won't show up in an RSLinx Classic browse. An FTView SE Server should show up in a browse, because it is (very likely) running RSLinx Enterprise.

That doesn't really surprise me; maybe there's an Windows firewall thing, or maybe the full RSLinx Enterprise doesn't respond to browses.

Either way, don't put a PanelView Plus in your I/O tree; it won't connect and it might interfere with the ordinary tag reads and writes from the terminal to the controller.