Omron Plc Using Citect Scada Software

HC Minter

Looking fo users running this platform. I am having communication problems with the two.. and software drivers recommended?

I am running this system for a car wash location. Hoping to get some input on both the software and the Omron PLC how best to coommunicate with the two.. Any user experience would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Easy. If you only require "snail mail", serial is fine. Would recommend RS232 to RS485 converter at the PLC end and direct into a Digi board in the computer. The Digi board has an on board processor that looks after the comms and does not degrade the performance of the PC processor.

If you want better communications transfer rates, would recommend Controller Link or Ethernet. I do not use Ethernet as I normally have many PLCs networked and Ethernet is not predictable so I normally use Controller Link. It is token ring based and very predictable and relaibale. Have one Citect system reporting 15,000 digital and 240 word reads per scond on Controller Link from 9 PLCs.

I assume you are using a CJ/CS series with a serial port and peripheral port. If not, let us know what you have.

Citect supply free of charge Omron FINS Gateway middle software for communications if you ask. You can use FINS for serial, Ethernet, Controller Link, Sysmac Link and Sysmac Net link. I have used serial, Controller Link and Sysmac Link with Citect.

thanks for the reply

Bob,

How much success do you have with Citect?

I will forward a mail to them and ask them about the software, I think that may be where my communication problem might be.

The Citect system is way more advanced than anything I might ever need, but want to use it to the best of its ability for may car wash site. Have any siggestions / Info sites on the Omron / Citect hardware and software.. Appreciate the help.

Yes I am using serial.. I don't need anything too fancy, just a nightly report, and a monthly history.

IMPORTANT
Which PLC?

If you are using the standard Omron serial driver provided by Citect, there are limitations on which words you can address. I have not used it with CS/CJ but that should not matter as it is only Host Link.

The same applies with the Citect FINS driver. The last time I used it one could not address W words and bits for example in the CS/CJ processors. When coding just do not use them for SCADA words and bits, not really a problem.

Are you using RS232? That could be a real problem.

What problems do you have?