PV 700+ How to open existing file

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi friends. Monday I got a call from one of the costumers about a small project that included adding some icons to their existing pv 700 plus (2711P-B7C4D1). I uploaded the file to a compact flesh from the pv. Now how can I get the file to open on FT so I can add icons. When I look at the file from the compact flesh and open it it opens as it would on the pv but it goes to the config screen first than I could run the app. just cant seem to get the file open, When I try to import the mer. file from the compact flesh in "open exisiting project" I cant see the file on the comact flesh card. Thanks for any input.

If I understand, you will need the .apa file which is what the .mer was created from. The .mer is a run time file while the .apa has all the source code in it. [Hope I got that part right]
Can you contact the customer and see if they have the original file or the .apa?
Also, depending on what version this was created in you could recover it but it had to have been created in 5.0 or later and they would of have to level the conversion box checked.

Hope this helps

Edit..There is a way to recover a .mer but you will lose I think the alarms and parameter files and maybe more.

I did ask the custmer if they have the orginlan file and they dont. the project was created in ver 3.0

You'll also lose any security settings (users and passwords).

I'd recommend that when you get done re-creating the app, that you upgrade their PV+ firmware to version 5.0 (or 5.1) so they can lose the apa again and still be able to recover without jumping through all the extra hoops.

Last edited:
If you upgrade the PV+ firmware to 5.0 or greater, you can when creating the new MER file (in version 5.0 or greater) select whether you want the file to be able to be restored.

Alan

Clearly the OP isn't that well versed in Factory Talk ViewME, I would highly recommend that you consult your Rockwell distributor on this one.

Parameter Files/Alarms/Comms/Users will all get wiped (if they exist), you would have to re-build the program to some extent for this application to work again. If this was for your own facility, go ahead and break it. But since it is for a customer, be aware of how much work could potentially be involved, and how much money this could potentially cost your customer.