Software Change Request

robw53

Hi,

Just wanting to know if anybody out there uses some form of "change request" document that needs to be filled out by whoever is requesting the change, reasons behind the change, approval signatures etc.

I am carrying out a lot of minor changes, but feel that some documentation should accompany this rather than an email or verbal conversation.

Rob

I'll see if I can find one we used, but it was a long time ago.... don't hold your breath

EDIT : No luck....

Have you Googled it.... loads of ideas there

Last edited:
I have a couple, but they are pretty GMP specific(I work in pharma). Happy to send one along if you wanted to take a look tho.

All you have to do is make a list of the details you want covered and make a form in Excel, Word or Adobe Acrobat.

As you use it I am sure you will want one more item added to it for the next program change. Then lock the main document and have ti available for requestors to fill out the fields only, with a generic 'Other Note' section for something they may want to add.

All you have to do is make a list of the details you want covered and make a form in Excel, Word or Adobe Acrobat.

As you use it I am sure you will want one more item added to it for the next program change. Then lock the main document and have ti available for requestors to fill out the fields only, with a generic 'Other Note' section for something they may want to add.

Excel Templates on google

If your company uses work orders to get repairs or enhancements made to your mechanical and electrical systems, apply the same methodology to program changes. Even if your company doesn't have a formal system in place you can maintain a logbook for the changes you make and encourage anyone else who makes changes to use it.

Thanks for the response.

I have already put down on paper a quick outline of what the document should contain, including:

Requester (name, signature, date, department)
Line number, equipment description
reason/notes area

approver (general manager or operations director)

and some form of sign off, once this change had been carried out/requester is happy etc.

just thought I would ask and see if someone had developed something which had been "tried and tested"

I would probably have another document that I send the requester of my interpretation and any details I need from them (times, values etc)

Dravik,

yes, that would be great if you could. I will just use it to see if I can identify sections i could include in mine.

Note, this is just to get a change 'on the table' as it were. We review these in committee for impact and whatnot.

Major system changes require a User Requirement Spec.

I work in the chemical industry and tend to use Management Of Change documents to do this.
What I find is that people aren't very good at expressing what they want or the details involved. At the same time, some changes have impact on other areas that the person requesting the change has no direct say or understanding of.

Here's the relevant comic:
tree-swing-project-management-large.png

Launching an MOC meeting and filling out the documentation, usually brings out all the details that one needs to be aware of for the change and everyone can agree on what is to be done and why.

Obviously, the software has its own management of change, but that is usually just a document detailing what changed.