Merging 2 ControlLogix projects

wildswing

Hey fellas,

A few years ago, we upgrade a group of VFDs. We decided to install a ControlLogix plc (call it plc2) to run these drives along side the existing PLC5 that runs that area of our facility (call that plc1). Now it's time to convert the PLC 1 to ControlLogix. Something we're considering is merging plc2 into the newly converted plc1 project.

I've already played around with the files, importing plc2 programs and tags/comments into plc1 . I've also gone so far as to edit the L5K files, copying and pasting plc2 IO configuration into plc1.

Most things seem to work out ok, except when I import tags/comments, I get a number of warnings telling me it cannot import IO tags. It can only replace. So the imported (copy n pasted) IO configuration from plc2 does not create it's IO tags as if I had manually created them, and I cannot import them. Must I recreate the IO configuration of plc2 in plc1 manually so that it creates the IO tags or can I also copy n paste those from one L5K file to the other?

I've talked to Rockwell tech and they're looking into my questions. I'm waiting for a reply. In the meantime, any other tips, tricks or advice you guys have would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.