Is there a better way?

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning all

L30ER, RSLogix 5000 Mini, 1769 IQ16 (8mS OFF/ON)

I have 6 actuators, using a IQ16 to read the 24v OFF/ON pulses of the encoder feedback. (It's within range of the cards capability)

According to other relevant sources the way to do this is with a periodic task.

Are there any other ways to achieve and compile the pulse feedback.

Any and all appreciated

Thank you for your time with this.

We put encoder counters in the Periodic Task with a higher priority and execution time that guarantees no pulses are missed.

Hmm,

No not really, but all the control is in the subroutine in the main.

My thought was just to read pulses from the actuator, count them, and import that back to the subroutine controlling the output to the actuator.

My brain hurts

This is the scenario. I want the actuators to go to three defined positions. Retracted, somewhere in the middle, and somewhere towards the end. ( I'll clear that up closer to the end of the build) These only get set once during the process then retract after its complete.

If I create a periodic task, can I......receive pulses, process, and control output all from inside the periodic.

Next, I have six actuators, can all of them be assigned to one periodic or should I use one task for each actuator.

I'm gonna go eat some aspirin now...............

My brain hurts
Try reducing stress in your life, and better regulating your coffee mg/hr

If I create a periodic task, can I......receive pulses, process, and control output all from inside the periodic.
Yes. Think of it exactly like a continuous task, except it executes at a fixed rate.

Next, I have six actuators, can all of them be assigned to one periodic or should I use one task for each actuator.
All in one.

I'm gonna go eat some aspirin now...............
Noted.

Reducing caffeine intake = some has to die

Headache is coming from trying to learn a new language, and think in 3D at a higher level.

That, and it has to go on line in six days.

You've helped quite a bit and I appreciate your time

Thank you