EN2T ethernet connection

serpesus

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with connecting EN2T module to my notebook running VM-ware Windows 7. First I was having troubles with setting up the IP adress with BootP - DHCOP Tool, but I made my way around that by manually setting up the IP adress with the hardware option. However, even when connected straight to the pc and trying several IP adress configuration, the EN2T still doesnt connect or even show up in RSLinx. Even pinging the IP adress gives "Destination host unreachable" or "request timed out".

I am sure I am missing something obvious, but can"t figure out what.

Every help would be appreciated 🤞🏻

And you are using the same subnet for the EN2T and the laptop?
Do you actually see the Link Active status on the EN2T?
Does the PC have a fixed IP?
If the PC is set up for DHCP, and it isn't connected to a DHCP server, it won't have a valid address except for the local 169.x.x.x one.

Right now, the EN2T and laptop are connected with one straight ethernet cable, both configured to the same subnet. The Link Active status is green (tested it with POINT I/O modules also). I"ve tried several fixed IP adresses on the PC.

This happens to me sometimes when using VM Ware. If the host computer has WiFi, disable the WiFi adapter and then reconnect the Ethernet cable to establish the connection. Once you have established connection to the EN2T you can turn WiFi back on.

I"ve tried turning my wifi adapter off, but with no success. Also tried pinging my own laptop, but it all checks out.

I was able to connect to an another PLC rack hosting a different EN2T over a different ethernet network, just last week and it all worked just fine. I was thinking a bad revision number, or some software issue, but it should be alright - the USB port of the EN2T is working perfectly.

Ok, you should have configuration on the VM lan. Try to select "bridged" connection, check in the Network configurations, that the bridged connection is connected to the proper network adapter of the physical machine - you should see that for bridged connection you have your LAN adapter there.
Put the IPv4 settings on the physical machine on DHCP. Configure the VM NIC settings, so you are in the same subnet as the EN2T,

Voila!

Of course you can use NAT, but there is a little bit more complexed.

BTW, did you reset the module after setting up the address? Do you see it on the EN2T display?

What messages are scrolling on the front of the EN2T module?

Tell us the IP addresses you are using for the Host, Guest, and EN2T. Ip Address, and subnet mask. If you don't want to give the IP addresses, give us an example.

You haven't mentioned what VM software you are using, but if you are using VMware Workstation or Fusion you should have an option for Bridged, NAT, or Host only. What is that set to?

In the Virtual Network Editor you can specify for the bridged connection whether it should use your wired or wireless connection. There is also an automatic choice. Make sure you have specified that you want it to use your wired connection.

The NAT connection will use whatever network your Host is currently connected to. This can cause confusion if you are connected to both wired and wireless networks at the same time. The NAT function acts like a router. It will route data from your VM out to the network that your host is connected to. Your guest should be configured to use DHCP and it will be automatically assigned to a subnet essentially all by itself.

Then in the settings for the VM, you can specify whether that VM should use the bridged or NAT connections. Ideally you would want bridged, but NAT can work too. It just takes a little more effort to configure RSLinx.

So, is your guest using NAT or Bridged networking?

Lastly, the EN2T module and most newer laptops will perform the TX/RX crossover on the cable so it should not be necessary to try a crossover cable. But you might see if that cable works elsewhere or try another cable just to rule out a bad cable.

OG

Hey guys, thanks so much for your help, I have finally made it work :site:

I set up bridge connection in VMware settings and I had to also turn my WiFi adapter off. Can"t believe that it was as simple as that.

Thanks again 🍺