Email via CompactLogix - Strange DNS Problem

brettdawnj

I have 3 identical CompactLogix L33ER's running in a factory and have always sent out automatic emails successfully. However, our company now has been bought out and sold to another, which means I need to change the emails to work on their new email SMTP server. Sounds like an easy task, but it is driving me crazy.

What I am running into is that 1 out of 3 work when I configure them properly for the new setup. I use static ip addresses for the PLC's and these are not changing. On the PLC network settings tab, I have exactly the same information (with the exception of each PLC has it's own unique static address) for all 3 PLC's.

Out of curiosity, I used a web browser to see the actual network settings on each PLC and found one different point, and it is on the PLC that works. Under the "Network Settings", in the field of "Name Resolution", I get on the PLC that works "DNS Enabled". On the other 2 PLC's, I get "DNS Disabled".

So it sounded like an easy mission to just change the 2 that don't work to "DNS Enabled" and I would guess that they will start to work. This is where I am absolutely baffled. In the older versions of RSLogix5000 or Linx, there used to be a check box for enabling DNS. However, I am using Linx version 3.74 and Logix 20.00. In neither of these can I find out how to enable the bit or setting for "DNS Enabled".

Even though I don't use DNS, it appears the new outlook email server requires this to be in the "DNS Enabled" mode to work. Without it, I get an error message via the messaging instruction of 16#00ff 16#0000_0104, which means the following:

Unable to connect to SMTP mail server set in Attribute 5. If the mail server
address is a host name, make sure that the device supports DNS, and that a
Name Server is configured. If the host name is not fully qualified, for example,
‘mailhost’ and not ‘mailhost.xx.yy.com’ then the domain must be configured
as ‘xx.yy.com’. Try ‘ping <mail server address>’ to make sure that the mail
server is reachable from your network. Also try ‘telnet <mail server address>
25’, which attempts to initiate a SMTP session with the mail server via telnet
over port 25. (If you connect then type ‘QUIT’).

I can't ping or telnet to the new server, but my IT guys tell me that they also can not as the server in Japan will not accept pings or telnet. But they ensure me that this is not the problem.

Does anyone know how I can actually turn or force this bit/setting in these PLC's to active the "DNS Enable" mode? Or any other suggestions on what to try?

I have tried to set it up for DNS by actually using a host and legit domain name thinking that this might enable it (like the PLC User Manual ENET-UM001O-EN-P says it will). But this does not seem to work... and the 1 PLC that works, doesn't have this set up.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Is there a valid IP in the Primary DNS Server Address on the controllers' Internet Protocol configuration tab? You mention the host and domain, but not specifically the server addresses right next to them.

Yes, I have in there both a valid Primary DNS and also a Secondary DNS. This does not make the setting of "DNS Enabled" show up in the browser. 2 of the PLC's show still "DNS Disabled".

In fact, it is the middle purchased PLC that works and the others do not. All 3 PLC's were purchased about a year apart... so I am pretty sure it is a configuration problem and not that 2 of the PLC's are older versions or anything.

Any other ideas?

IMPORTANT
Make sure the DNS enable bit is set.
If you configure your module by using RSLinx software, version
2.41, the enable bit is cleared and DNS addressing does not work. If
you configure your module by using the Port Configuration tab in
the programming software, the enable bit is set, so DNS addressing
works.

Did you do this? If so then try zeroing the dns servers and adding them back.
(using rslogix5000)

Also if you can't "telnet <mailserver> 25" then none of the plc's would work. SMTP port is 25, telnet port is 23 you need to put 25 at the end of the command to connect to port 25

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts P-X.

I can't set the bit as the newer versions of Linx do not have this box to check anymore.

I also tried your idea of deleting all the DNS fields to "zero" out the current info and then re-enter the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses. This also did not work.

Any other ideas anyone?

nhatsen, thanks for your response. When I clicked on your link, I got the following message:

Not available

'Locked' answer-The answer may be in a review cycle, you may not have a TechConnect contract or be linked to your contract (see answer 725311 - https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/725311).

Not sure if it is locked now or if it has to do with a TechConnect contract issue as we are changing companies.

An chance of personal messaging me this note or posting how to activate the "DNS Enable" setting?

Thanks, I think this is what might fix my problem...

Brett

Try saving the program. Going Offline. Setting the DNS Servers on in the config.
Save the program.
DOWNLOAD it to the controller. (Dont just go Online)

Hey GTUnit, Thanks for idea... however, I had a problem doing what you recommended. I saved the program, then went offline. I proceeded to try to set the DNS Config in RS5000, but the port config screen won't let you enter any data (unless I am doing something wrong). It appears you can only make port config changes when your online.... any other ideas?

Also, anyone out there have any other ideas on how to change this from "DNS Disable" to DNS Enable? OR have further details on how to use a message instruction to set DNS Enable?

Thanks for any thoughts or assistance in this crazy problem.

Just a follow up to let anyone know who searches this post at a later time. I believe my problem is with RSLogix V20. It does not set the "DNS Enable" bit if you add Primary and/or Secondary DNS info. At least this is my assumption... since it did not work.

To get around this, I added a Message Instruction that set the "DNS Enable Bit" and disabled "Boot P". Once I triggered the Message instruction, it set the bit and all is well.

The Source Address must be a DINT and viewed in Hex. In Hex, the Data must be #16 0000_0010. This value of 0x10 = DNS enable, disable boot-p (stores following config on the Ethernet port of flash memory).

I am trying to add attachments to see this instruction for anyone's reference.

Hopefully, none of you have this problem, but if you do, hope this helps.

Message Instruction DNS Enable.PNG

hello friend, greetings from Colombia, I hope you are very well, you know I have the same problem of yours, I try to send an email by msg and I get the error 16 # 00ff, extended code 16 # 0000_0104 and configure everything. What solution could you give to your problem?

Please see the post above yours from me on April 22, 2017. My problem was with Version 20 and I had to manually configure the items shown in the post.

What Version are you running. I think later versions did not have this problem.

Hope this helps. Other than the post I mentioned, I do not have any other ideas.

Just a follow up to let anyone know who searches this post at a later time. I believe my problem is with RSLogix V20. It does not set the "DNS Enable" bit if you add Primary and/or Secondary DNS info. At least this is my assumption... since it did not work.

To get around this, I added a Message Instruction that set the "DNS Enable Bit" and disabled "Boot P". Once I triggered the Message instruction, it set the bit and all is well.

The Source Address must be a DINT and viewed in Hex. In Hex, the Data must be #16 0000_0010. This value of 0x10 = DNS enable, disable boot-p (stores following config on the Ethernet port of flash memory).

I am trying to add attachments to see this instruction for anyone's reference.

Hopefully, none of you have this problem, but if you do, hope this helps.
Hi Brett
i am having exact same issue as you explained, and i am getting same error code (due to company network changed) , but here is the difference with your case:

1-my rslogix version is 32,
2-DNS is showing enable

but still i am not able to send email,
any clue

can you telnet or ping to your email server from that IP address?

The network changes you mentioned might not have the same routing as you expected. run tracert to the email server and see where it stops.