GE 90-30 upload/downlad on 374 cpu

thanks again Steve. I'll get back tomorrow, wit some detail, it was related to my cable. have to finish paperwork and get out of here by five.

If there is nothing else talking to this CPU via Ethernet and you know the MAC - ID, its located on the label next to the part number but you need to remove it from the rack to see, then you can use the temporary IP utility in Proficy ME. This will allow you to Upload the Configuration to verify the permanent IP address. You will need to press the 'reset button' on the CPU or cycle power to get the original IP back.

Ok... that's good to know. I will try that at some point to speed this up.

Yesterday I did get that particular location to connect and upload. I removed the USB to serial adapter cord I was using. I was trying that, so I could get rid of the docking station that contains the RS232 on our shop laptop. It has to be powered in order to use the RS232 on the dock, so it's a little inconvenient dragging the cord around.

I didn't think it was problem since it was working on a rack in the shop. The quickPanel was connected there so i thought it was something on the CPU end. I tried reinstalling the drivers but no go at the machine. I have yet to go back and see if the adapter cord still works on the shop rack yet.

Hopefully things slow down so i can install and download to a spare CPU we have in each of these locations. This will be verify I have a working copy. after each one will replace the original CPU. i have to make dead sure this all works. we are down several days and thousands of dollars if it doesn't work.

Thanks Russ. I will try the Ethernet method once i am certain I good uploaded files. Then i can go back and hone my skills!

Last edited:
OK, I have found why my USB adapter cable didn't work.

To review: I was using the laptop dock, because I needed the RS232 on it, not available on laptop itself. I was told by IT...in order for the Laptop dock RS232 to work,the dock has to be powered (not sure why). So I have been dragging an extension cord and dock along with the laptop,to use the RS232 to 15 pin directly.

I took the laptop back to the shop... removed the dock, plugged my power supply directly to the rear of the laptop (goes through the dock when laptop is docked), plugged my 15 pin - RS232 cord into my RS232 - USB cord, then into the laptop USB port.

It all worked as it did before. Now puzzled...I decided to try unplugging the power from the lap top. Now it won't go online. AH HA! Connecting pane stays up forever, retrys 4 times and then cannot connect. Plug in the laptop, hit 'online', and it goes right on.

Sooo... why would that be?

Is this Proficy detecting the laptop power scenario, safeguarding power loss during upload/download? I would like to get around this somehow. i don't want to drag a cord around just to go online.

OK, I have found why my USB adapter cable didn't work.

To review: I was using the laptop dock, because I needed the RS232 on it, not available on laptop itself. I was told by IT...in order for the Laptop dock RS232 to work,the dock has to be powered (not sure why). So I have been dragging an extension cord and dock along with the laptop,to use the RS232 to 15 pin directly.

I took the laptop back to the shop... removed the dock, plugged my power supply directly to the rear of the laptop (goes through the dock when laptop is docked), plugged my 15 pin - RS232 cord into my RS232 - USB cord, then into the laptop USB port.

It all worked as it did before. Now puzzled...I decided to try unplugging the power from the lap top. Now it won't go online. AH HA! Connecting pane stays up forever, retrys 4 times and then cannot connect. Plug in the laptop, hit 'online', and it goes right on.

Sooo... why would that be?

Is this Proficy detecting the laptop power scenario, safeguarding power loss during upload/download? I would like to get around this somehow. i don't want to drag a cord around just to go online.
Highly unlikely that its Proficy related. More likely your Laptop, RS-232 to USB adapter or a bad/non-OEM battery in your laptop.
Try a different RS-232 to USB adapter first.

Highly unlikely that its Proficy related. More likely your Laptop, RS-232 to USB adapter or a bad/non-OEM battery in your laptop.
Try a different RS-232 to USB adapter first.

Ok. I talked to IT they are going to bring another conversion cable they have, down tomorrow.