Compactlogix and Toshiba P9 comm problems

jaegermeister

I have a Compactlogix PLC connected to a Toshiba P9 (ASD-G9ETH Module) via ethernet that is working perfect while I have the laptop connected to it but my start signal (specifically my 'hand' start signal) won't start the drive if my laptop is not connected. If I have the laptop disconnected, push the 'hand start' button from the HMI nothing will happen unless, this is weird, I eject the SD card and push it back in. It is like the start bit high signal to the drive is getting hung up and either having the laptop connected or pushing in the SD card somehow releases it and starts the drive. Even stranger is that the 'Auto' function from the HMI when enabled starts and stops the drive perfectly regardless of whether the laptop is connected. Anybody else ever see strange behavior like this?