Commander SK forgets speed setting Red Lion HMI

icc1john

Odd problem, I have a panel with a Red Lion Graphite controlling (among other things) 8 control techniques commander sk drives. I am communicating with them via MODBUS, with the drives set up for PR (preset speeds). I am writing into the drives parameter 18 (400121) the speed setting - preset 1.

Alll works fine, except when powered down and back up, the screen remembers the speed setting (retentive on the tag), but only one of the drives remembers the preset 1 speed setting - all the rest go to zero. If you change the setting on the Red Lion, all the drives take it and run fine.

I see no parameter difference at all between the drives (except the address obviously).
I just can't sort out why one drive retains the setting and the other ones do not.

Odd problem, I have a panel with a Red Lion Graphite controlling (among other things) 8 control techniques commander sk drives. I am communicating with them via MODBUS, with the drives set up for PR (preset speeds). I am writing into the drives parameter 18 (400121) the speed setting - preset 1.

Alll works fine, except when powered down and back up, the screen remembers the speed setting (retentive on the tag), but only one of the drives remembers the preset 1 speed setting - all the rest go to zero. If you change the setting on the Red Lion, all the drives take it and run fine.

I see no parameter difference at all between the drives (except the address obviously).
I just can't sort out why one drive retains the setting and the other ones do not.

You might want to contact Control Techniques and see if there is a rtention setting for that parameter on the drive.

The Plot thickens...

If I disconnect the comms and put a value in preset 1 (parameter 18), and cycle power, the drive retains the setting...
If I have the comms connected and power up, the screen retains the speed setting, the drive does not. The Red Lion tags are identical in properties for the one drive that retains it's value - really weird...

parameters in menu 0 are set to nvm
all other menus you need to do a save to nvm
(1000) in any menu.00 then drive reset
Have you tried changing the tag to 40018?
or you can run a program on entry of the new speed to do the parameter save

Ooooh, I forgot about the save to NVM... Thanks ! I have not tried changing the tag. What's weird is that I have one of the 8 drives working - ie; retaining it's speed setting.
The Red Lion speed setting writes directly into 400121. When the system is powered up, none of the drives will run when you give it a start command (except one). Actually they all accept the start command, but are started at zero spd. If I enter a new speed (or the same speed) on the Red Lion, they will work fine. Just a serious pain entering all the speeds every time the unit is powered off and on again.
All of the RL tags are configured the same, all of the drive settings are the same (except the address). I think I'm going to initialize the affected drives and enter their settings again and do an NVM save and see what happens.

Well, now I have two of the 8 drives that retain their setting in parameter 18 (400121). I have compared the Red Lion tags and the drive programming a zillion times, just can't wrap my head around it...

Does not sound like a drive parameter issue, but its probably worth checking to see if all drives are the same firmware. Parameters 11.29 and 11.34(sub version)
Also keep in mind the Red Lion only updates the retentive tags once every 2 minutes are you waiting before powering down?

Yes, checked the firmware - all the same. Like you said, I don't think it is drive parameter related...
If I change the speed setting on the RL, it works fine. The issue is on power up, the speed settings are retained by the drive, but when the drives power up, the speed setting on 6 of them is zero. If I change the speed setting for any of them (or even enter the same setting), it writes that setting into the drive and all is good.
If I unplug the comms cable from the drives, then cycle power, they retain their speed setting.

If I change the speed setting on the RL, it works fine. The issue is on power up, the speed settings are retained by the drive, but when the drives power up, the speed setting on 6 of them is zero. QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by the above statement. Can you post your Crimson file?

Bummer - I tried to upload the file, but even zipped it is larger than the forum will allow me to upload...

On my previous statement, the drives when stand-alone (comms not connected), will retain their preset 1 speed setting in parameter 18 when power is cycled. Only when the Red Lion is connected and power is cycled do (some of them) power up with a preset speed setting of 0.0

The Red Lion screen still has the previous speed settings on the screen. If I start any of the drives, it will "start", but is set at 0 hertz. If the speed setting for drive #5 was 27 prior to power down, it is still 27 on the RL after power up, but the drive acts as above, at 0.0
If I punch in a new speed setting (even the same speed setting) and hit enter, it takes off and runs at that speed. I can start, stop, all is good - only when power is cycled do I have an issue.