Texas Instruments Series 305 software question...

Johnny T

I am trying to translate a program for a Texas Instruments Series 305 PLC into Siemens Step 7 and have come across a couple of things that puzzle me. I just wondered if anyone could help me.

Firstly, I have two counters C607 and C612. They have the values (in the listing) of K0002 and K0010 respectfully.

I'm not sure whether they are Count Up counters or Count Down counters. Also, at other places in the code, there are normally open contacts that are just addressed as C607 and C612. Do these normally open contacts come on when the counter is anything but a zero (the same as Step 7) or do they come on when the counter has got to its designated value (ie. either 2 or 10) ??

In other words, would I replace them in Siemens to be a comparator comparing the Counter Value rather than just being a normally open contact. And (the questions go on and on!) if it is a comparator is it a Greater Than or Equal To or another type of comparator ??

NEXT QUESTION.

Part of the code shows a rung that ends in --------------(MCS)

I'm assuming that this is the Master Control Relay and that the condition before this denotes whether the next section of code is executed??

Further down the listing there is another ------------(MCS)

Does this mean that this is the end of the Master Control Relay or the start of 'nested' MCR's ??

This second MCS is also conditional which has thrown me a bit because the end of a MCR cannot be conditional..

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm back on site tomorrow morning and if I can't get this machine running I think they are going to cut off my head and mount it on a pole at the factory gates.... :(

Thank you for your help

Cheers

JT

Perhaps a users manual will help you quickly understand the 305 instruction set. AutomationDirect has the manual online and can be downloaded however it is now call the DL305 series. The instructions available in the TI will operate the same between the TI and the DL.

Try this link:
305 Manuals

Hope this helps,
AndyT

There are no down counters in the 305, only up counters. The NO contact addressed to C607 or C612 will be true when the counter has reached its preset value.

The two MCS statements are nested zones. The end of a conditional zone is indicated by the MCR instruction.

The TI305 was made by Koyo and relabeled by TI. Siemens also had the line briefly and called it the Simatic TI305. It is the same product as the GE Series One and the currently available Automation Direct DL305. Any similarity between the 305 and anything Siemens is currently offering is purely coincidental.

AndyT, Steve Bailey, you are Gods among men.

A very very big thank you for your posts and I really appreciate the extremely quick response.

I've rewritten the bit of software now and just hope everything goes ok on site tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers

:D

I've got another question regarding the hardware side of this rig here:
Here...

If any of you are familiar with that side of it and could shed some light on my question that would be fantastic...

:)

Hello JT;
http://web5.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d3user/ch6.pdf

Look at the D3-16ND3F module shown in this link; it is a fast response input module with a reaction time of 1 ms. Maybe the info contained in the manual could clear up things.

If not, I suggest you call up Automation diect support and ask them directly for the equivalent in the DL305 for your 305-01H module.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier,

Thanks for the info mate... I've looked into the manual but I'm thinking it might be an Input / Output module...??

Will scan the manual for info.

Thanks again

Cheers

JT
:)

Not the same module. D3-16ND3-F is a 16 input, the 305-01H has inputs and outputs on the same module and can operate independent of scan time in some modes. Johnny T if you will send me your email address in a PM I will email you a PDF with some info about the module.