What do people think about reply to posts

parky

I have noticed quite a lot of backbiting on this site recently. Unfortunately very often the OP has not posted what the actual application is or why it is required or what they want to to achieve, One of the problems is suggesting a way of doing it without the whole picture is it could lead to bad decisions, however, saying that this site can only rely on the information contained in the post & respond accordingly. Remember, any information on this site must be taken with care, yes there are many experienced and safety conscious people here (probably too safety conscious due to current legislation) but we live in a world of litigation and a culture of safety whether we like it or not, I'm sure most of us are following the rules, but like any internet based system people are generally autonomous and feel that they can do what we like on-line. I'm not blaming anybody on this site, but it would be more helpful if original OP's gave the whole picture, I agree this may be difficult for some people who's first language is not English as a great majority are on this site are English speaking. Constructive criticism is great, but some of the original posts are not well defined and sometimes we either mis-read or understand the post. Like many of the more experienced people on this site they will not produce code that can be snaffled by to OP to save them time, the idea is to educate posters on ways to do it. So let's keep it friendly. another member & myself often have a conversation going that may stray from the thread, but I view it as constructive criticism and not a slanging match (I hope he sees it the same way I think he does lol) We often bounce ideas off each other but try to keep it friendly I hope he agrees.

I guess I've missed those threads, because I didn't notice the unfriendly posts.

My observation is that unless the OP is a regular here already, getting the needed information is highly improbable.

In fact, I frequently ask a question right off the bat to see if there's a reply with information I requested. If not, then I'll drop off, because it will be yet another 'guessing what the situation is' and I've got better things to do.

But that's internet fora behavior. No different on this forum than any other. It was a little better in the mid-90's when fora were new, but now it is what it is.

I don't think there's any way to 'educate' OP's. They're either going to provide data when asked or not. Mostly not. For those willing to stick around under those circumstances, more power to you. I just move on.

Last edited:
Parky, hi. I've noticed this also. I tutor English to two students 2 hours a week each. I see how difficult it is to be fluent, especially with all the idioms and slang. I try not to post or reply unless I have a reasonable assurance I'm correct, or at least will be of help, even if it's to provide information to the OP that this is NOT the solution. I've started a couple of posts, and after seeing that there are a lot of replies that basically say to the OP that there is not enough info, I try to include as much as I can I.E. processor type, FWV, software version, types of cards, etc. It does help, however usually I just do a search and find my answer without bothering folks. Stay safe and healthy. I need to get over there one of these days. I want to ride that big wheel in London.

I want to ride that big wheel in London.

Social Distancing... one person per car :)

I use and give my advice for free so take it as you may, its also a general guide not 'the one all knows all' answer, sometimes I am wrong (yes I said it) but I like to give my opinion.

I had a issue today that I was going to post but figured I should not, there were to many unanswered questions that I have its my project, I need to work on it more then post if I still cant get it and leads me to think a lot are posting before even really giving the effort to try and solve it first.

I also try and have a sense of humor, some get it and others dont, I think if we were all at a bar.... well never mind we cant do that either :) but my point its hard to express yourself with a post and someone not taking offence to it.

Saultgeorge: I like your style, I live here and never been on the big wheel, even though I spent most of 16 years working in London, driving down on a Monday & coming back on a Friday with a few weekends thrown in but will get on it one day. I agree but I do like to try and interpret what the OP is trying to achieve even if it is a bit vague I truly understand the language barrier & I do my upmost best to accommodate them, after all, I'm married to a south east Asian. We all sometimes miss the real context of a post be it by the OP's grammar or purely mis-reading it. I'm not too worried about people who have been thrown in at the deep end and I'm willing to help, but If I'm convinced I'm being used I will back off, although my nature sometimes gets the better of me. come on this is cheering me up keep it going, if the wheel is even open one per car would mean a very long wait, that's why I have never been on it .

Last edited:
I have almost stopped trying to help! (I still ask for help BUT I won't offer any help! Way too much blowback!) It does seem to me this forum has become more "Social Media" than a forum to help people with Plc problems.

Last edited:
The best thing about the 'net is that it lowers the cost to publish; the worst thing about the 'net is - you guessed it - that it lowers the cost to publish.

I miss the old days when we were less politically correct and regularly trashed each other.

"America used to be a country rich in insults. It really did. We lose something in literary or intellectual culture when that's no longer accessible." David Berlinski

more here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxSZ8DyuC7o

If you refrain from posting out of fear of criticism, that is something you need to outgrow. If you refrain from posting out of fear of being wrong, don't worry, I will step in and fill that gap.

If I am guessing or unsure, I try to state that, and at least 1/3 of my posts are made with some level of surety, but wrong guesses or near misses still push the problem toward the solution.

Last edited:
+1 Okiepc, it is much more fun to read when there is a bit of banter.
As with Parky and you know who, funny both from that side of the Atlantic:p

Leave the real serious help, without mistakes (or very,very few) to the people who post under there own names, Ron, Peter , Ken, Ken, Steve, sorry to others l missed.
If we all posted in our real names, then this would become a purely PLC instruction not a forum and a lot of people wouldn't post, thereby taking suggestions for the OP to look into, or delete. It gives everybody the chance to learn different approaches to the same question, some right some wrong, there is no liability here, that is up to the person programming, some people of which, shouldn't be doing by there questions.

I get annoyed with the people who request help, then never return to post there findings or to say thanks to the forum member that helped them.

Banter is normal, people getting their feelings hurt is normal. Having to swallow you’re pride when you’re wrong is...., well not easy for a lot of folks, including myself. I fell like this forum is mostly technically driven with a few jabs in between. Nothing wrong with that. Controls engineers are stubborn, hard headed, resistant to change, and can just down right be a holes! That’s how the world goes round, anything else and we wouldn’t get much done.

Leave the real serious help, without mistakes (or very,very few) to the people who post under there own names, Ron, Peter , Ken, Ken, Steve, sorry to others l missed.
I have been posting less because the OPs do not provide enough information for the best answer. I would need to ask questions first and I don't want to spend the time. I wait for others to ask the questions but that drags the thread on and on and often goes off the rails.

I also don't like the fact that information gets lost in the noise and number of threads.

I have almost stopped trying to help! (I still ask for help BUT I won't offer any help! Way too much blowback!) It does seem to me this forum has become more "Social Media" than a forum to help people with Plc problems.

That is disappointing. I always found your posts helpful and was very grateful when you helped me. Please reconsider; I know you have a lot to offer.

I miss the old days when we were less politically correct and regularly trashed each other.

Oh how I agree! I am from Oz and many of us have wicked senses of humour - most Americans do not understand us at all. I am now getting old (76)and still powering along fortunately. Have never been politically correct and hate it!

I also do not bother posting too much these days due to the fact that there is little information provided.

I also notice that there are quite a few regular posters from the past who do not bother anymore. No names but many of you will know who I mean.

My screen name is almost my last name, to be honest I never thought of using my real name, parky was easy to remember for login, and in no way am I trying to hide. As I said before, I will help almost most posters if I can, even if I am not familiar with a particular system, sometimes knowledge of other systems can invoke the thinking process, however, I do try to make it plain that I have little or no experience, but like many systems problems can often be common. I have in the past used many platforms working for a systems house where there is no one system as it is almost always driven by the customer. I have been thrown into a project many times where it's learn as you go on Or commonly known as "flying by the seat of my pants". The last few years before my retirement have been limited to a few platforms so my exposure to others has been limited. but still willing to help, even if it's only an idea. by the way I do not believe that using your real name makes an expert, however, I do agree those names are well respected. although I do find a comment about leaving the serious stuff to people who use their real name from someone whose public profile does not give any real information a little cutting and demeaning to many members.
Just for the record my name is:

Len Parks
I live in the Midlands UK.