Rockwell Software - Core i9 or Xeon

At Delta we buy Dell computers because we have an account and get discounts. However, for some applications I like the Intel NUCs. We have many. I replaced my old Mac Pro with an Intel Nuc at work. It cost half as much and is 3 times as powerful but it is also 10 years newer.

Ditto the comments about SSD. The NVME SSD are great. I buy 1TB SSD from Amazon. I use them in my NAS ( Synology DS1019+ ) newer.
The CPU is not as important as the SSD.
I often do video work now. I7s are fast enough although I have an I9 at home.
Graphic cards are another big expense. I don't see where PLC programming or any programming needs more than the built in graphics capability.
I got a GTX1080 to play games. Not the shoot em up type. I wanted the CUDA cores for playing chess. PLCs software does not need this. In this case the NUCs with built in graphic cards work well enough. Just get 2400 MHz memory and at fast NVME SSD for the main system disk.

I'm going into the weeds here, so apologies, but I have a Synology NAS, the thing is pretty dang good.

Are you only planning on doing programming? Any plans for CAD software? Virtual machines?

I9s are nice. For stability maybe a Xeon would be better especially when paired with ECC registered memory.

NVME drives are definitely the way to go nowadays. I suggest multiple drives. Keep your OS and data/VMs on separate drives.

Get a good graphics card. Good for driving multiple monitors at once at high def. If you are doing CAD, a good Nvidia Quadro is decent.

You will want to make sure you still get a DVD drive and media card reader. Starting to see those not being offered on base models.

Get an extra network card. You'll need it if you want to be using multiple networks and programming your PLCs.

And lastly, get RGB lighting. Nothing like having different colors flashing constantly.

At Delta we buy Dell computers because we have an account and get discounts. However, for some applications I like the Intel NUCs. We have many. I replaced my old Mac Pro with an Intel Nuc at work. It cost half as much and is 3 times as powerful but it is also 10 years newer.

Ditto the comments about SSD. The NVME SSD are great. I buy 1TB SSD from Amazon. I use them in my NAS ( Synology DS1019+ ) newer.
The CPU is not as important as the SSD.
I often do video work now. I7s are fast enough although I have an I9 at home.
Graphic cards are another big expense. I don't see where PLC programming or any programming needs more than the built in graphics capability.
I got a GTX1080 to play games. Not the shoot em up type. I wanted the CUDA cores for playing chess. PLCs software does not need this. In this case the NUCs with built in graphic cards work well enough. Just get 2400 MHz memory and at fast NVME SSD for the main system disk.

Thank you Peter.

My IT Dept is looking at AMD now. I will post the results of this.

I'm going into the weeds here, so apologies, but I have a Synology NAS, the thing is pretty dang good.

I have an 8 bay at home for data, thing is amazing.

Best interface too.

I recently upgraded 4 of the 8 drives from 4 TB to 10 TB. I did one drive a night under power, worked like a charm.

Love Synology, but don't want to get too far off course on this one hahaha.

Are you only planning on doing programming? Any plans for CAD software? Virtual machines?

I9s are nice. For stability maybe a Xeon would be better especially when paired with ECC registered memory.

NVME drives are definitely the way to go nowadays. I suggest multiple drives. Keep your OS and data/VMs on separate drives.

Get a good graphics card. Good for driving multiple monitors at once at high def. If you are doing CAD, a good Nvidia Quadro is decent.

You will want to make sure you still get a DVD drive and media card reader. Starting to see those not being offered on base models.

Get an extra network card. You'll need it if you want to be using multiple networks and programming your PLCs.

And lastly, get RGB lighting. Nothing like having different colors flashing constantly.

ME SE, Studio 5000, Some light data base applications, also some 2D CAD (P&ID and Electrical).

Yes, VM Work Station. 1 for sure VM running at all times, I would like to be able to run 2 VMs 24/7 (Data Collection applicatiom IIOT).

This PC needs to be usable for the next 4-5 years.

Yes, I agree with OS and DATA/VMs on a DATA drive, this is my current setup and I think it offers good protection and disaster recovery options.

I am looking at the hipoint NVMe RAID card. This way I could do Raid 5 or Raid 10 NVMe.

I drive two 4k monitors, so yes the video card is important.

Check on the network card!

xB61xpg.jpg

What do you mean by RGB lighting?

A guy that does reviews on youtube put the i9 and Xeon head to head. There was negligible difference in performance between the two. Could have been specific models, can't remember.

I did the same research for my new mobile workstation. I've got a Dell Precision 7730 coming with the Xeon E-2186M, Six Core 2.90GHz and 32GB RAM. I hope it will be be night and day from my old Precision M4800.

A guy that does reviews on youtube put the i9 and Xeon head to head. There was negligible difference in performance between the two. Could have been specific models, can't remember.

I did the same research for my new mobile workstation. I've got a Dell Precision 7730 coming with the Xeon E-2186M, Six Core 2.90GHz and 32GB RAM. I hope it will be be night and day from my old Precision M4800.

nice, I am sure it will be pretty good.

I am running the M6800 for my laptop (i7-4810q 2.8 ghz with 16gb) , and it is okay running Windows 10 and one VM.

When you set up your SSDs, remember to leave some un-allocated space.

When you set up your SSDs, remember to leave some un-allocated space.

Forgive me, but the last time I built a computer involved a 64MB Voodoo5 AGP card and a U.S. Robotics 56K modem. I am not up to par with today's tech. lol

What does the un-allocated space allow for? I will have just two SSDs. One for OS and another for data and VMs.

Forgive me, but the last time I built a computer involved a 64MB Voodoo5 AGP card and a U.S. Robotics 56K modem. I am not up to par with today's tech. lol

What does the un-allocated space allow for? I will have just two SSDs. One for OS and another for data and VMs.

I have read that over-provisioning allows for the SSD to do some of it's garbage work.

From Tom's...

Overprovisioning: SSD R/W method works differently then HDD, While writing data onto HDD it overwrite deleted data and write on top of it also can write anywhere it can find the space. The drawback is if you write a 10GB file it will become fragile will make the head to move more on the disk which cause response time slow.

SSD dont work like that, it have blocks. Those blocks contain data if you want to delete something from a specific block it needs to move the entire block to another location then delete the data bring the moved block back into the place. This process makes the SSD faster. This R/W method makes the device faster by not letting the data gets divide into little chunks also there is no moving part which is a addon bonus.

This is also one of the reason you will never find Defragmentation option in SSD but will get optimize options which is also a complete different story.

This SSD R/W method need to have some free space left just only for this process, which is called as Over Provisioning. Even if there is no space left it will manage to have this function work perfectly but will become a little slow in the overall performance.

Maybe not needed with newer SSDs?

Technology changes so fast it is hard to keep up!

Here is pricing that I got for the setup of a whole Rockwell/Factorytalk and Wonderware dev environment. This will be for a full setup and replication of a plant network. It is also handy if you have more than one person working on it at a time (we have 5). It also allows for some expansion as new versions of Logix comes out.

If you don't need everything, and just want to develop applications/plc code, you really don't need to spend more than $2500 IMO.

Here is everything at our cost without markup.
• $510 VMware Essentials
• $13,900 1x DL360 Gen 10 HP Host Server
o 256GB Ram
o 2x-16x Core 2.2GHz Processors
o 3x 1.92TB SSDs (RAID 5) = ~3.5TB Usable
o HP ILO Premium
o 3 year HPE Support
• $5,313 Microsoft Datacenter Licensing 2019 (unlimited VMs on this single node)
• $37 / 1x- MS User CALs
• $704 / 5x MS RDS USER CALs
• $3,123 MS SQL Core Licensing (2x cores ; this would double if we wanted a 4 core SQL Server)

Here is pricing that I got for the setup of a whole Rockwell/Factorytalk and Wonderware dev environment. This will be for a full setup and replication of a plant network. It is also handy if you have more than one person working on it at a time (we have 5). It also allows for some expansion as new versions of Logix comes out.

If you don't need everything, and just want to develop applications/plc code, you really don't need to spend more than $2500 IMO.

Here is everything at our cost without markup.
• $510 VMware Essentials
• $13,900 1x DL360 Gen 10 HP Host Server
o 256GB Ram
o 2x-16x Core 2.2GHz Processors
o 3x 1.92TB SSDs (RAID 5) = ~3.5TB Usable
o HP ILO Premium
o 3 year HPE Support
• $5,313 Microsoft Datacenter Licensing 2019 (unlimited VMs on this single node)
• $37 / 1x- MS User CALs
• $704 / 5x MS RDS USER CALs
• $3,123 MS SQL Core Licensing (2x cores ; this would double if we wanted a 4 core SQL Server)

WOW! Thanks for sharing.