Crimson - Dynamic Alarm Text

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a vendor who has given me over 1100 alarms for each of five (5) sections of his machine. This means I'm capable of receiving any of over 5500 alarms from him. I've already figured out how to capture and display a single alarm and its associated meaning from any of the five sections in the PLC, but now I need to display that captured text on my alarm page.

Using Crimson 3, is there a way to dynamically set the text display of an alarm on the standard alarm screen? The text could read something like "Section 1 - 1100 - Broken Cable Detected" or "Section 1 - 2325 - CPU Overtemperature Fault".

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure this is the best idea to manage the alarms... but...

For a numeric alarm tag: In Data Tags>Alarm Tab use a string tag name for the Event Name like this
Code:
=StringTagAlarmMessage

The value of the string tag will be used in the alarm message for your numeric tag when it is triggered.
But only that one message is displayed.

So, you'll need to create some reasonable number of numeric tags for your alarm triggers and an equal number of string tags for the messages (say, 200)
The PLC will have to manage the alarm buffer (tag arrays) as well as alarm priorities.

Ex. What happens if there is an alarm flood? First in first out? or only the highest priority alarms are sent to the HMI?

Last edited:
Thinking more about that, you'll also have to add some delay between changing the alarm message tag and then setting the numeric trigger.

Otherwise, you could get an old (or empty) alarm message at the HMI.

I read the thread title, and thought "surely he means MAGENTA" :p

Works perfectly. Thank you. I didn't know about setting the Event Name to "=TagName" technique.

:site:

Glad it worked out.
You can try that =TagName anywhere there is a text entry. It may not work everywhere, but the only way to figure that out is to try (ie. help doesn't say).