Text width issue with Factory Talk View Studio

Daniel_LeRoy

Lifetime Supporting Member
In FactoryTalk View Studio - View Machine Edition v9.00

when I create text I like to create the width of the text box the correct width of the text size so when I am aligning things everything can be neat and tidy. My problem is sometimes in studio it will show that all my text is displaying correctly but when I download the runtime to the PanelView I will get text that loo* lik* thi*.

Anyone experience this? In other HMI software the text box width will auto adjust to the text size. Any hot tips or anyone know what I am doing wrong and why the runtime is different than my project. I have double checked my screen resolution is correct.

Also on a side note when adjusting my text box size I have found that sometimes it inappropriately makes a letter turn to * and I have to enlarge the box and then downsize it again.

Thoughts? Answers? Thanks

Ive seen this. Seems like its always the last character in the text. I have only solved this by expanding the text box. Hopefully someone else has a clever solution.

I only found that behavior back in RSView Studio 4. The problem was the chosen font in the project didn't exist in the PV. So I had to download the font from my laptop (Windows font) into the PV.

Yep it's a carry over from PB32 actually. You have to make sure the box is big enough for what will be displayed at runtime.

AB Always Big. Convenient font sizes of Large, Huge and Gigantic!

along the same line of thought, what font and font size are you using?
Not all of the fonts on your computer are available on the PanelView; same for font sizes.

Also, try changing the font size & close the properties dialog. Save display. Re-open the text properties and change the font back to its original font size. See if that makes a difference.

I feel your pain. o_O Text alignment & neatness in general is NOT necessarily a feature of FTView SE.

One thing I've had to do is check the "Size to fit" box in the Text Properties window, General tab. This messes up text box size but it tends to eliminate the * issue.

A couple other things to watch out for are: font choice and grid settings. The amount of space needed in the text box will vary if using a proportional font. A fixed pitch font like Courier will always use the same space for the same number of characters.
If using snap-to-grid, the grid spacing will limit how closely the bounding box size matches the text or numeric, usually making it much too big in my experience.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been using Arial size 14 (bold and non bold). How do you know what fonts are available on the PanelView, this might be my issue.

I tried using a monospaced font, then I could just quickly calculate the exact box width I needed, but hated myself for how it looked.

I don't have snap on grid selected, hopefully the grid isn't playing a factor.

I just found this in the
PanelView Plus Terminals User Manual

I wasn't aware of this and it may solve my problem.

To use additional fonts on a PanelView Plus device, copy any of the
font files on the PanelView Plus CE Accessories CD or the Machine
Editions Fonts CD to this directory on the computer where
FactoryTalk View Studio software is installed:
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime
You can now use the File Transfer Utility in FactoryTalk View Studio
software to download the font
files to the target device.
Select Tools>Transfer Utility.
Select Source File
>True Type Fonts.
Select a font file to download to the device and press the