Can't get RSL to recognize my HMI in lad 2

AnthonyF8:0

Ok... stumped on this one...

I'm using an ML1500 (LSP 24BWA) to run 4 VFD's which are all speed controlled 0-10v from my output (OF8V) card. I'm using a Pro-face (Xycom) GL2300 HMI to change speed settings and provide realtime frequency output, or at least giving it my best shot. My problem is that RSL won't let me enter the send and recieve words as a module.

The HMI calls itself "LS0020" and I've even tried to write that in as an address with file and delimeter format(yeah I know, I know.... I'm trying anything) I'm copying #M1:1.0 to #N50:0 and in the next rung copying #N51:0 to #M0:1.0 as the HMI data cross refrence calls for, but RSL will not accept the "M" (module)command as valid for my processor type. I've never run into this problem before with an SLC500. Do I have to change it and send and recieve as a msg or something?

Chances are this is something I'm overlooking, but I'm all ears...

Anthony,

To use the M0 and M1 addresses, it appears that you have to somehow configure the HMI as a "Specialty Module", using the Advanced I/O Configuration menu. From the RSLogix Help file:

If you have a Specialty I/O Module, (for example a 1746-HSCE High Speed Counter Module), in your configuration you have to enter additional parameters so that the module can function properly in your program.
Enter this information in the Advanced I/O Configuration window.
If you want to know how to access the Advanced I/O Configuration window click here.

What's on the Dialog?
Read-only information contained on the Advanced I/O Configuration dialog is dependent on the type of module you are using. It can include:
the slot number in which the module resides
the name of the specialty module
the maximum number of input words that the module can address
the maximum number of output words that the module can address

Scanned Input Words
enter the number of input words that you want the processor to scan. This number varies depending on the specialty module you are using. It cannot exceed the maximum input words shown on the read-only portion of the dialog. Default = maximum for module.
Scanned Output Words
enter the number of output words that you want the processor to scan. This number varies depending on the specialty module you are using. It cannot exceed the maximum output words shown on the read-only portion of the dialog. Default = maximum for module.

Interrupt Service Routine (ISR)#
enter the program file number of an interrupt service routine that will be executed by the processor when a service request is initiated by the specialty module. This number depends on type of processor you are using. Default = 0.

M0 Length
the length of the M0 file (output data file or control file residing in the specialty module)

M1 - Length
the length of the M1 file (input data file or status file residing in the specialty module)

G File Length
the length of the G file (specialty module's configuration file). For the SLC to SCANport module, this value should be 32. For the 1746-QV module, this value should be 7.

Edit G Data
(This button is active only if the G file length is not zero.) Click this button if you want to enter or change the parameters that define the configuration data for the specialty module (bypassing the need for module dip switches). This configuration data determine how the module will respond in your application program. Click on a selection below for information about the G data configuration dialogs.

The M0 file is a control file. You can control the operation of individual devices on the RIO link with M0 files (M0 word 8 through M0 word 27. Through your application program you can use the M0 file to:

For BTW (Block Transfer Read) instructions the data stored in the data file is copied into the M0 Block Transfer buffer, and data in the M0 BT buffer will be transferred into the controller.

Device Inhibit - command the specialty module to stop scanning an RIO device by using words 8-11.

Device Reset - command the specialty module's outputs to reset while the SLC controller is in Run or Test mode by using words 16-19.

Remote Output Reset - command the specialty module's outputs to reset upon the SLC controller leaving Run mode or while in Test mode using words 24-27.

M file values act as interrupts and are immediately read from or written to upon the execution of the ladder logic instruction in which they are used.

M file data is nonretentive. Upon entering Run or Test modes, the SLC controller sets the M0 file to a default state. The controller does not use the M0 file until a full program scan occurs (after entering Run mode). This allows you to change the M file settings before they take effect.

M1 file words 0-47 contain the status of all devices on the scanner's RIO link. M1 is a read only file. Do not write to this file.

M file values act as interrupts and are immediately read from or written to upon the execution of the ladder logic instruction in which they are used.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000

Last edited:
As far as I know and I would put a lot of money on it the ML1500 does not support the M0 M1 data transfer method.
If it is like the proface models I have used then you address directly to the N or B files with the DF1 driver that comes with the proface.
Regards Alan Case

AnthonyF8:0 said:
I'm copying #M1:1.0 to #N50:0 and in the next rung copying #N51:0 to #M0:1.0 as the HMI data cross refrence calls for, but RSL will not accept the "M" (module)command as valid for my processor type.

Are you looking at the section for a HMI model that uses Remote I/O for communications?

As far as I know, when you use the 'M' files, you are dealing with a card that resides in the PLC rack (RIO, Devicenet, Servo, etc.).

Can you post the manual (or a link) that you are looking at?

An HMI is usually the initiating end of a connection with a PLC. Since it's hooked up with DF1 then all the PLC has to do is make sure information is in its proper place for the HMI to read and use the information put in place (desired speeds?) by the HMI.

OH GEEZE..... Thanks Alan, I got it now. Thanks for your help everyone. It's my first time using a Proface and first time putting a screen on a 1500. And you're right 93It, We've used that to grab onto Link (techbox) via devicenet before, now that I take a step back, I'm not sure what I was thinking in this case. Always a learning experience.

Last edited: