1747 PIC to USB 2.0?

zqew05

Fellas,

I have this new laptop that do not have a serial port. I'm new to PLC's, please tell me what to do to connect the PIC to A USB 2.0 on this new laptop. Will I have to use my old laptop, w/c has a serial port? THANKS

I've run into the same problem as you. The screen is going out on my old laptop so I had to buy a new one. When reviewing laptops online, I could've sworn that the new one I got had a serial port. But last night, I was plugging in my USB floppy drive and noticed that it did not in fact have a serial port.

This evening I purchased a USB to serial cable at Radio Shack for $39.00. I'm going to test it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

The documentation that came with the cable states that it fully supports RS-232 for modems, PDAs, cameras and label printers, etc. so I'm hoping all goes well.

If I'm successful, I'll let you know.

Estevon said:
The documentation that came with the cable states that it fully supports RS-232 for modems, PDAs, cameras and label printers, etc...

Sorry, but the "etc..." does NOT include the 1747-PIC... :(

You may want to check out THIS RECENT THREAD regarding USB to serial adapters.

beerchug

-Eric

Reiteration

I've been through this topic lots of times and I have save you the wondering.

A USB/RS232 converter will not work with a 1747-PIC or 1761-NET-AIC.

USB/RS232 converters work well with DF1 and DeviceNet (1770-KFD) drivers in RSLinx, but not with the DH485 driver.

I just got my hands on a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 converter last night and I plan on testing it out with SLC-5/02, /03, /04, MicroLogix 1000, and PanelView terminals soon. The cost of that device is comparable to the 1747-PIC, and I hear that A-B has the initial production run glitches worked out (which one of our Forum members suffered through). I'll check the S/N on the unit I got to see if it's from the first shipmet lot.

Eric Nelson said:

Sorry, but the "etc..." does NOT include the 1747-PIC... :(

-Eric

Hehe.

Well, the cable was only 39 bucks. If it doesn't work, I'll just pick up the 1747-UIC. No biggie :D

You didn't waste $39, Estevon. Your USB to Serial adapter WILL work with other stuff!... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric