speed counter

mahmoud turky

Dear all,
i have a project that contains an encoder and i use speed counter from siemens to count from the encoder.
i'm using a linear magnetic encoder to measure the displacment of press machine and i connect the encoder with the speed counter but i don't know how to program the speed counter to show me the displacment of the press machine on HMI.

First do the engineering.

Do you have one of these?
http://www.mtssensors.com/technology/how-magnetostriction-works/index.html
or something like it?

If so then you are going about this wrong. You should probably get a rod that outputs an analog signal. The reason why what PLC people call a high speed counter is a joke and they don't count fast enough to provide accurate position so it is best to have an analog output that provides you with an analog signal proportional to the position.

The speed of the pulse is about 2800 m/s. A typical high speed counter card can count 20Khz so 2800/20000=0.14 meter resolution which isn't very good. One can do better with proximity switches.

A second option is to buy a card that is designed to interface with the MDT rods ( magnetostrictive displacement transducer ). A normal "high" speed encoder card will not do.

A third option is to buy a controller that is designed to control presses. The can also control position or force or limit both. I am assuming you have an hydraulic press. These controllers have counters that count as high as 240 MHz which will result in just 0.1666E-5 resolution. About 17 microns. Better yet is to use MTDs with SSI interfaces. The the resolution can be as fine as 1 micron.