OT: pressure sensor for very low temperature process

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Trying to find a pressure sensor for an application where the process is running at -100°C (-148°F). Pressure is likely around 1 bar or less, and the pipe is quite small (0.75-1") so I can't go for a diaphragm type with a remote transmitter. Output must be 4-20mA.

Anyone seen anything like it before?

Last edited:
What details do you need that aren't in the original post? The medium is an inert liquid being circulated by a pump.

Those are the two I've found. The omega one doesn't have a 4-20mA output, and the GP50 is a bit big and bulky, and space is at a bit of a premium in this application. I've sent out an enquiry for the GP50 in case that ends up being my only option, but hoping for something a little more compact.

The Omega would definitely need a signal conditioner to get the 4-20. I have to believe you're not the first person to need one, probably a small niche company out there like GP that have something. Good luck.

Yeah, I figure they'd have to be reasonably common in LNG applications and such, so I can't imagine they're not out there. It's primarily difficult because when you're searching pressure switches, the filter categories are all around pressure rating, process connection, electrical characteristics, etc. Never temperature rating. You have to dig through the manuals individually to find temperature ratings on most pressure sensors, and that's so time consuming as to be completely impractical.

E+H have got me a flow meter that's good down to -210°C, and cheaper than I thought. When I say "cheaper than I thought", my initial enquiries had me bracing for $20k plus, so it was a low bar to clear :ROFLMAO: I asked if they had a pressure sensor but the lowest their sensors go is -70°C.

I've since had discussions with a couple of companies that say they might be able to do it with a remote diaphragm, and that the process connection can still be quite small, so I'm following up that option now.