Red Lion G3 Alarm Question

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone,
I am new to the site and I am working on my first HMI project. I have been programming Micrologix and SLC PLC for a few years now so I am pretty comfortable with them. I have found several post in the forum that have helped me very much so far on this project.

Here is my hardware/software info: Red Lion G308 connected to a Micrologix 1400 32pt BWA PLC via TCP/IP. I have used Crimson 3.0 for the programming of the HMI.

I am almost finished with the project but I would like to add one more item to all the pages (3). I would like to add some kind of notification on the pages if a new alarm comes into the alarm viewer (which is on page 4). That way if they are on page 1 and an alarm happens on page 3 they will see that there is a new alarm and they should go to page 4 and check it out.

Any ideas on how I should start? I am sure this is one of those šŸ™ƒ things that will make me slap my forehead but as of now I am not sure how to start.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris

Welcome to the Forum, and I have something you can look at and use:

Put an alarm ticker (under System Primitives) at either the top or bottom line of the screen, and put in on a Master Slide page all by itself or in addition to your other objects that are common for those pages. Set the properties of the alarm ticker, and you can choose how it looks when there are no new alarms. I usually put this ticker on a page all by itself with any global buttons and other display indicators I may want on those 3 pages.

Around that alarm ticker, place a primitive rectangle, make it the same color as the background color of the master slide, but keep it visible. Make it a couple of pixels bigger, or offset from the Alarm Ticker, so you can pick it easily during editing, but the operator will be able to touch almost anywhere along the alarm ticker in order to jump to the Alarm page. This is something that operators have told me becomes very intuitive.

Add an Action to that "hidden" rectangle, and then on the Action Tab, choose Goto Page and make the Target Page whatever name you have given to the Event Viewer on your faults/alarms page.

On the pages where you want the alarm list screen selectable, designate that page as a Master Slide.

My master slides have buttons usually, too. I make one master, master slide first, get it how I want, then make a copy for each different background color I want. Side note: it's possible to make the Master Slide take on the color of the display in which it is used dynamically, but making copies complies with my KISS principle.

This example has a rectangle on the Master Slide pages:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?a...y&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=980

If you don't like the options available in the alarm ticker, you can also use a normal looking button with the goto page action, and condition its visibitlity or color/text/behavior when the system property called "ActiveAlarms" !=0.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help OkiePC!! I was hoping that you would answer as you seem to be the local expert on the G3's.

Master slides are new to me. I will try and do some experimentation and if I have any questions I will come back and post them.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help OkiePC!!
You're welcome.

Bullzi said:
I was hoping that you would answer as you seem to be the local expert on the G3's.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do consider them one of my favorite devices to deal with, and I love Crimson 3.

Bullzi said:
Master slides are new to me.

They rock. I have a folder of them as a basis for every application. That cd3 file in my link also has the processor status alarm set up as a multi-state message display object that you could use. There are a few differences between the SLC and the Micro that would need correction for exact accuracy. Pick that application apart and you can see how I used Master Slides, and how I set up the alarms for the CPU.

Thanks for the help OkiePC!! I was hoping that you would answer . . .
You're welcome.

Bullzi said:
. . .you seem to be the local expert on the G3's.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do consider them one of my favorite devices to deal with, and I love Crimson 3.

Bullzi said:
Master slides are new to me.

They rock. I have a folder of them as a basis for every application. That cd3 file in my link also has the processor status alarm set up as a multi-state message display object that you could use. There are a few differences between the SLC and the Micro that would need correction for exact accuracy. Pick that application apart and you can see how I used Master Slides, and how I set up the alarms for the CPU.

I think I understand the idea. I was trying to put a couple of buttons on the master so the operator can move to the next page without having to press the buttons on the side. So I added 2 buttons with the action set for Goto next page and goto previous page. The previous page button works but the next page button doesn't. did I miss something?

From what I've found, the gotonext() / gotoprev() functions seem to be more of a queue for where you have been, not using the Next and Previous designations from the property pages.

So, in order to use "gotonext" you have to use "gotoprev" first.

Last edited:
Brijm is correct, next and previous page navigation is a lot like forward and backward in your browser. Use specific GotoPage commands for your basic navigation in addition to the next previous features if you have room. I usually don't use the next button, but I use the previous button a lot.

Thanks Guys!!
That is what I figured so I just put a button on each page that would go to the next page in the list. I put a previous and a main menu button on the master slide. Again thanks for the help and I have a feeling that I will be doing more of these in the future.

I would like to have a tag for the TITLE that is at the top center of my master slide. When the page chagnes the title will update with the current active page.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

Crimson 3 Alarm Viewer Question.

Can you program the Help button on the Alarm Viewer to go to a different page? I want to create a separate page with the alarm details on it.

Can you program the Help button on the Alarm Viewer to go to a different page? I want to create a separate page with the alarm details on it.

Sure. The Actions Tab for the Alarm Viewer has a field where you can put a command or add complex code. If you put:
GotoPage(Page1)

Then the help button would navigate to Page1

If you want to have context sensitive help for each alarm, there are some internal tags that you could use to base your logic on.

Open the Crimson Reference and search for "help button" for more details.

Also is a good idea to start a new thread and reference this one as needed. I only say because either have made this mistake before