Ladder Logic diagram help

Steve Bailey said:
an exercise in interpreting ambiguous job specs. Both of those are important skills for a controls engineer to have.
Ronnie Sullivan said:
Ambiguous specs... Is there another kind?
Rob... said:
No specs...
Steve Bailey said:
Can't get any more ambiguous than verbal specs. They come with implied deniability. "I never said that".
gclshortt said:
Then we ask the operator how its suppose to run.
If anyone ever asks me to sum up my job as a small OEM automation engineer in one paragraph, I'm just going to show them this thread. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the accuracy of it :ROFLMAO:

No, we currently just started doing these. The only thing I know how it works is the examine if closed (in the simulation program). So it is all trial and error. I will find out eventually. Also:
f SW1 and not SW2 then Green
If SW2 and not SW1 then White
If SW1 and SW2 then Red
This has simplified my reading. It is more clear. Thank you.

There are a couple of ways to to do this but at your level I'd study up on "examine if open" instructions (XIO). Also, just remember that a ladder diagram is nothing more than a positive rail connected to a negative rail through whatever is on the rung (inputs and outputs). To make an output go high (on) the circuit needs to be complete (keep that in mind when looking at XIO's).
Post what you come up with even if it doesn't work.

converting a more traditional programming statement into ladder logic is fairly straightforward.

all rungs are "if/then" statements, with the XIC and XIO contacts being arguments, arguments in place sequentially are ANDed

Input1 Input2
|------| |-------|\|---------

would be read as (Input1 AND NOT Input2)

arguments in parallel are ORed:

Input1
|-----| |-----|------
|
Input2 |
|-----|\|-----|

would be read as (Input1 OR NOT Input2)

the coil at the end is the "then" statement:

Output1
-----------------()--------|

so, for "if(Input1 AND Input2) then Output1;"

Input1 Input2 Output1
|-------| |-------------| |--------------------------------------()-------|

Be careful, "implied" NOTs don't exist. As a programmer, I understood what you meant, but the PLC won't.

Edit: well, the formatting of line spacing didn't come out the way I expected...

Last edited:
They are not really if/thens at all. Is really Y=X
Absolutely. When expressing Boolean logic in a textual language execution speed will be significantly faster when using Boolean operators rather than if/then/else.
However,

If
You choose to use the if/then construction
Then
You really need to use if/then/else
Else
You are liable to get incorrect results
End If
Else