Kinetix 6000 fault after motor rebuild

BAJ

Hello all,

We have a new customer who had a large A-B servo motor rebuilt and after reinstalling it they are getting a fault on the Kinetix 6000 (SERCLOSE). At first I was pretty sure the motor-encoder phase just needed to be reset, but after a little digging, we found out that the encoder on the motor was replaced. The drives are stuck at "3" in the power up sequence. A little more digging and we find that the encoder they replaced it with isn't the same, it's an Stegmann SRM50 and the original motor apparently had an SRM60. Since these are smart encoders I'm sure Kinetix is balking at the encoder change, knowing the encoder doesn't fit the profile it has for the selected motor.

Sooooo, any suggestions? Is there anyway to tweak this in Logix? My guess is they are either going to need to find an SRM60 encoder to stick in there, pay AB to build a custom profile, or just buy a new motor.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-Brad

Can possibly update the firmware on the drive, or change parameters, I don't know for sure but if I were in your shoes this would be my approach for investigation

The standard for SERCOS 2; Phase 3 indicates a configuration error between software and hardware.

Check in your IO Tree at the drive for any local errors. If all drives in the SERCOS Ring are all in Phase 3 you could try removing the drive from configuration (might be worth trying an inhibit first but ultimatley you will probably have to remove the motion group), download to PLC and bypass the drives fiber ports.

If you get a sucessful Phase 4; then you need to check and revised part numbers and possibly update your configuration.

If this was sent to AB for repair; there is likely to be some form of Add-On Profile for this type of drive.

See here for AOPs;
https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/pages/search.aspx?crumb=117&q=AOP

Firmware Catalog;
https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?crumb=112

Regards

Daniel.

Last edited: