Hi, trying control transmitter flow rate with AB 1400 PLC

nyameephraim

Hi, please I wish to develop project like this:
I wish to control my flow transmitter using PLC.
For example If i wish to pump 1000, 2750 0r 3800 gallons of water into my tank; the command should be given from RSLogix 500, after pumping the 1000 gallons the valve should switch off. They should be a possibility were the task can be done anytime inputing different amount of gallons.

I wish to use Allen Bradley 1400 PLC to perform this task.
I know analogue card will be required, now how is communication established between the card and the flow transmitter? My flow transmitter does not support Ethernet option!
What types of instructions are used in RSLogix 500 to build this type of application?

The easiest way is to use a flowmeter with pulses, not analog input ML1400 does not have hart option, I do not recall if rs500 has an accumulator instruction.
You can measure pulses with a fast input and every pulse represent certain numbers of gallons, so when your pulses are near your numbers of gallons you can close a valve or turn off a pump.
Latest flowmeter models have ethernet option , but that is another story.

Last edited:
Let's clarify some terms.

Flow RATE is volume of flow per unit time - gallons per minute or liters per hour, for example.

It looks like you really want to control volume discharged - gallons cubic meters, for example.

The easiest way, as widelto says, is a pulse output transmitter. Then you just scale and count the pulse. If you already have the flow meter telling us the details of the meter will result in better answers. Also, you talk about pumping, but also about a valve. More details on that would also be helpful.