How to read tags from Simatic MP370?

avnerharel

Does anyone know how a PC application (VB, Excel or Access) can read, over Ethernet network, the values of tags from a MP370 touch-screen?
The MP370 communicates with Siemens S7-300 PLC. I want the PC to read tags values from the MP370 for long-term archiving of production data.

Thanks.
A.H

Mp370

WinCC Flex is supposed to have OPC connectivity for mp's. I have not had to use that functionality yet, but you can give the guys in Johnson City a call. 800-333-7421 or you can email them at- [email protected]

WinCC Flex

Do you suggest writing the PC application in WinCC Flex. I'll lose my shirt on the licensing cost. The HMI application was written in ProTool 6.0 and cannot be converted to WinCC Flex because of technical limitation in the current version of WinnCC Flex.

Thanks
A.H

Tags from MP 370

No you would use ethernet to get the tags from the MP 370 and run you app elsewhere. If you don't need the HMI, then there are modules available for the s7-200, s7-300 and the s7-400 that would let you use an OPC driver like:

Simatic Net for Industrial ethernet

Software Toolbox has ethernet drivers for S7 as well

OPC server for MP370

Thanks Al,

So I'll need OPC server and to write an OPC client application. I considered this option, but if there is a way to fetch the tags directly from the MP370 it will be easier and less expensive.

A.H

MP 370 Tags

WinCC Flex is an OPC server in the MP370. what prevents you from convertin the Protool to WinCC Flex?

Al,

The application is called SIJECT (see www.siject.com). It is a Siemens control solution for injection molding machines. This is a massive application - both PLC and HMI. Current WinCC Flex cannot run this application because of certain extensions to the standard ProTool that Siemens add specially for the Siject system.
Future WinnCC Flex will be able to run Siject, but nobody knows when it will be available.

A. Harel.

Getting those tags

Software Toolbox sells an OPC tool for use in the MP370, I have emailed them about it and I will let you know if you can access those tags over ethernet

A Protool project can be an OPC server to OPC clients, but only when it runs as a Protool Pro RT on a PC.
Your solution could be to convert the application from MP370 to a PC RT.
edit: It may be easier than you think. Siemens has a specially low price on Protool RT licenses when purchased together with a Siemens panel PC.

Apart from that, why is it important to access the tags via the MP370 ?
If you really want to access tags in the controller, then it will be just as easy and much cheaper to install a reguler OPC server on a PC.

If it is really Recipes or batch jobs that you want to handle via the MP370 (with the recipes or batch information coming from a PC), then that is also possible.

Last edited:
Software Toolbox

I think Siemens made them sign some type of aggreement not to pursue a competitive solution with WinCC Flex. They do not sell a solution that is an OPC server that is accessible over the ethernet port that does not require multiple licenses. I think that the Protool Pro reccomendation is the best one so far.

www.traeger.de

With The IPS7Link for Siemens S7 300 TCP IP
you can read I Q M and DBs from the PLC
So Bad, the IPS7LNK.dll is Protected
with a 10min and a 3hr Time limit