RSLogix 5000 Controller Tags

andrewke1

I am new to RSLogix 5K and would like to know under what circumstances you would use an alias, as created automatically in Controller Tags, for a Base Tag (also created automatically in Controller Tags)?

I have attached a .pdf showing 2 inputs both pointing to the same Base Tag but are aliased by different data types ... AB:1794_IB16:C:0 and AB:1794_AVB_2SLOT:I:0

Is 'input_B' the correct way ? or does it not matter.
Thanks

I don't think there IS a formal naming convention-- Whatever is easiest from an OPC standpoint for you to get in and poll/manipulate your tags. It's just an organizational tool for you to make finding the tags easier. Status bits, for example, are typically deeply embedded--meaning they are down several layers. Assigning an alias tag brings them out to the main directory so your OPC driver can find them immediately.

Using a name common to the process also helps, such as "Reboiler1_xxx_xxx" for all tags associated with the reboiler.

The only issues I've had w/RSL5000, and specifically the Control Logix platform, has been with setting all my data up in "arrays" so I could use the built-in plc5-messaging emulator that you need to interface with GEFanuc's iFix scada program. GEFanuc has apparently forgotten how to update the old Intellution-written device drivers (unless you want to pay them $10K to have a 3rd party do it) and you have to jump through hoops to make their ABR driver talk to CLogix.

PW3.
I have a legacy Fix system monitoring several thousand CLX tags and I use Linx and the Fix DDE driver. This works well if you can live with the time it takes for all of the DDE links to be made at start up. The only real issue is that you need to disable the thousands seperator in Windows on the Fix machine as Linx does not recognise this.
Andybr

Either way is correct in that case.
"Legacy Adapter" based racks are addressed like that often, that is rack optimized, as opposed to direct CIP addressing, but you can specify either (normally).

The first alias - Local:0:I.0 Specifies the "Local Rack":"Module at slot 0":"Input Image"."Data_Bit_0"

The Second alias - Local:I.Data[0].0 Specifies the "Local Rack Adapter Module":"Input Image"."Data of Input Image Word 0"."Data_Bit_0".

Andybr said:
PW3.
I have a legacy Fix system monitoring several thousand CLX tags and I use Linx and the Fix DDE driver. This works well if you can live with the time it takes for all of the DDE links to be made at start up. The only real issue is that you need to disable the thousands seperator in Windows on the Fix machine as Linx does not recognise this.
Andybr

Thanks for the info--I'll look at that sometime. We have an area in our plant that is still using Fix 6.xx--I don't recall which Fix I/O driver they're using, but I do know they're using an obsolete AB application called PCO (or PCL?) to load scaling and SP's into their 5/80's via an Excel spreadsheet. I would hate to be the one to update that install--

PW3