PC internet control of PLC

Kthiel

Are there any inexpensive ways to control a plc with a pc or pc/internet connection for the purpose of remotely operating a lawn sprinkler system. I need something simple (programming is ok )- not on the order of Wondeware type products.

You could if you have a pc on the plc side use something like pcanywhere and dial into the pc to start the plc software,i think this is what you mean?
there is a free software package called vnc,you can download it from the net and it is quite small compared to pcanywhere.
You can download it @ www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Its funny, I got seriously involved with PC's in the mid 80's, at that time Radio Shack had the Trash 80 (TRS80) which had accessories to do a multitude of household chores. You could turn on a coffee pot at a certain time, turn on/off lights, regulate your hvac/heat...etc all from the home computer or thru a dialup connection.

Anyway, the simplest way to control a sprinkler system is using a good old timer.

IF for some reason you MUST use a plc for this then leave the home computer connected to the plc and use a program like PCAnywhere, CLoseup etc to dial into the home computer and do
what is necessary.

This way there is no cost except for the PCAnywhere type software and a modem(which most peolpe have). This is assuming you have the plc software already loaded on home pc.

There is tons of way to do this.

emails
DDE
SQL
OLE
OPC

What is it exactly you want to do...

ON/OFF?
Set timers?
Schedule?
Recipe?