TEST your knowledge in PLC

sqrz

Hi all
first of all i want to thanks every body for this excellent site that personally helped me to learn PLC i have interestin PLC i didn't go to university or college to learn i did it at home and from this site
thank you all and i hope that you accepet me as a member

if you think you know every thing in PLC answer these Questions test your self i personaly done these questions and iam not going to lie i didn't get 2 or 3 questions right, for some of you these questions going to be easy and for some hard and for other it's going to look familiar to them because i got these questions from some were

if you don't want to answer them please don't do this only for challengers
i hope you answer here so every one can enter small competition and see whos the best :p

well Queastions

PLC types Questions

Qs.1. Explain what programmable controller is and what it does ? (refering to input, output, an industrial computer and program executio)

Qs.2. Describe very simply the following three main types of programmable logic devices ? (in each device describe what they look like, give a typical number of inputs and outputs and one example application that each might be used:-
  1. The small programmable relay.
  2. The self-contained medium capability PLC.
  3. The modular, or rack-mounted, expandable PLC.
Inputs & Outputs Queastions

Qs.3. Give two examples of devices that are commonly used to provide inputs signals to PLCs and two examples of devices that are connected to the outputs ?
  • Describe simply what each device does.
  • Give tyical voltage and currents produced by an input device under the different conditions that operate it.
  • Give typical voltage and current values that operate an output device.
Software Queastions

Qs.4. Three diffrenet software items, listed below, are neededto operate a PLC. Describle brifly what each of them does:-
  1. User program written by the engineer, eg. similar to ladder digram ( LADSIM )
  2. Development software, eg. similar to ( LADSIM ) usually running in a PC(not the PLC)and used when engineers develop user programs.
  3. The software ( monitor program ) that always runs in the background on the PLC.
Signals Questions

Qs.5. Briefly describe the cable link and typical signals carried to/from :-
  1. An on/off sensor or output solenoid
  2. A fieldbus system, eg. profibus
Communications links & Networks Questions

Qs.6. Describe briefly two types of communication links now used in bus and network type systems for PLCs, eg. Profibus and AS-interface. for each one:-
  • State what kind signals are transmitted, analogue or digital.
  • If digital, state if data is transmitted in serial or parallel fashion.
  • Describe simply the job that the links do, eg. involving PLC, digital info, sensor detect/non detect condition and instructions to an actuator.
  • Describe simply what they look like, including simple descriptio of cable and connector/connection method in each case.
  • State the length limitation of the link in each case.
answer what ever you can and test you skill and again i say if you don't want to answer don't comment please only for people who like to challenge

Thank you for your time

I forgot to add this i got the queastions form my cousin in England :p

Last edited:
  1. ture
  2. true
  3. false & mayby
  4. #4 don`t know could be true with a slight maybe???
  5. yes
  6. Not sure about net works get. Some one mentioned something about data hyway leads to texas guess they were talking about hyway 259 south quien se ?????
  7. :site:

Bonus points to sqrz for coming up with a new approach to the perennial "please do my homework for me" game.

Here are my answers to Q1 and Q3. More to come...

Q1. A programmable controller is an industrial controller that can be programmed. The programmer inputs the program and the controller outputs the control. Program execution refers to the penalties imposed on the program for violations of the laws of thermodynamics.

Q3. Almost everybody has heard the phrase "garbage in, garbage out". Two types of garbage input sensors are:
1. The angry screams that your spouse makes when you wipe your greasy hands on the guest towel. The voltage level is about 120 dB and the current of disgust emanating from her eyes is sufficient to melt human flesh.
2. The sound of the garbage truck rumbling to a stop at the curb outside of your house on a morning when you have forgotten to put the container out. The voltage and current for this input depend on the contents of the garbage and the time of year.

Two types of garbage outputs are:

1. When you take the garbage from the garage to the curb. Garbage input number 2 is an interrupt input that leads directly to this garbage output.
2. When the garbage bag breaks inside the garbage receptacle and you have to hose out the receptacle after the garbage collection truck drives away, the residual garbage outputs all over you shoes. The more expensive your shoes, the higher the voltage and current.

It seems to be home work but some times, with these kind of questions we realize that is not so easy to give a clear and simple answer and it could be a good way for us to organize our ideas about these subjects.

Here are my answers to Qs.6.
  • Profibus: both analogue and digital until 244 bytes. ASi: 32bytes digital signals or some analogs in the latest version. If your question is about the transmission media, both are digital.
  • with only two wires both must be transmitted in serial.
  • This will depend on the device. A sensor or a valve is only one information bit while some more inteligent devices can give status information and receive parameters.
  • Profibus-DP: Special Pofibus cable and connectors with specific impedance and bus topology. ASi: special yellow cable with signal and power suplly. AdOc topology
  • Profibus-DP: From 100m (12Mbit) to 4Km with 3 repeaters and low speed. ASi: 100m.
Now I would like to get the list of wrong answers here.

WHY you guys so mean

well it maybe a homework also maybe he realy got it from his cousin as he say

well why not try to answer some i will but most look hard to
me to answer maybe this's why you complane guys buse you cn't do it am i right or wrong anyway if its a homework or no i will try answering some

sqrz i sorry butyou not gonna like it here some members are very mean they been mean to me when i asked them to help me with LADSIM software

i hope u saty after you saw these comments

Funny how Bad Wolf and sqrz seem to have identical abilities in grammar and spelling and less than 4 posts? Curious also to see that Bad wolf mentioned that he has a cousin in England? Tom, I suspect the HNC may not have made it as far as you think :rolleyes:

Bad wolf AKA sqrz, this is homework so check your course notes and also do a search of this site. All your questions have been posted and answered many, many times before. It will do you no harm to have to filter through a large number of posts rather than having somebody summarize them again for you here.

SQRZ

How about you post YOUR answers as an attachment so they are not visible. Then we will all do the "test" and then check our answers against YOURS.

Interesting that Bad Wolf and SQRZ both joined at the same time. The key is to put up a playboy bunny picture of yourself and I bet the response will be overwhelming.