TIA Portal How to Display String in LAD

FreeAtLast

Hi Everyone. Does anyone know of a trick to view a string (in LAD) in TIA Portal Step 7? In Logix I add an EQU instruction below each fault rung, and use it as a reference to show the fault text associated with that fault. I set the string tag equal to some other random string tag (with no intention of actually comparing the two strings) and the EQU instruction would conveniently show me the current text in that fault text tag. And in that way, it was nice to see that "System.Fault[0].3" was associate with the fault text "Air Pressure Not Within Limits" Then I'd follow the EQU with an NOP. (See attached image).

Does anyone know of an instruction in TIA Portal step 7 that will let me accomplish the same thing? (I also haven't been able to find the "NOP" instruction in LAD in TIA Portal step 7.)

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=52335&stc=1&d=1570542387

FaultTextImage.png

I created a dummy function that takes a string as an input parameter and used that so the string will display.

bert.jpg

why would you put this in the code? isn't a Watch Table a better answer to view variables?
If those are DB variables you can just open the DB go online and monitor everything

I guess it just seems convenient to me to write/edit my fault msg right below my fault rung. I could, ideally, write the fault msg and the network title at the same time. But I do this offline during development, and even with a dummy function like "L D[AR2,P#0.0]" mentioned, it doesn't display the msg until I go online. Nor does it let me change the msg right there in the dummy function.

AB lets me not only view the msg string while offline in that EQU, but lets me modify it inside my EQU instruction (image above).

wimpiesplc, yes, it's also in a shared DB like you said, and a watch table is great for monitoring them all at once.

TIA does not have such a nifty feature as RSLogix, that while editing offline it presents the contents of a variable that is used in the editing window, and even aloving you to edit the actual value of the variable.
As a solution and not exactly what you are asking for, but you can write directly to a string in both LAD and SCL.
And if you dont want to write all the strings cyclically, you can have an "initialization" bit.
With that you can edit your error texts directly when you edit your code.
Something like this:

TIA_write_directly_to_string.png

The string text is available offline by viewing the properties of the variable. Creating the text would be done by having the DB open in a separate window.

bert1.jpg

The string text is available offline by viewing the properties of the variable. Creating the text would be done by having the DB open in a separate window.

Weirdly :confused:, opening the cross-reference window of the tag (click on tag+F11), in the same properties, you can change the 'Start value', but ONCE! ;)
Once you change it, it goes gray again until you open the window again...:ROFLMAO:

f1.PNG f2.PNG