Logix Designer V30 vs V31

I would agree with your statements. However everything pre V31 was by far more buggy and slower then it is post V31. I opened a V26 program the other night on a conventional install on a 1 Tb SSD and it probably took 20 minutes to open the 5meg file.

After having used V32 for several months, I have found a few other items that are very frustrating for long-time users of RSLogix5000/Studio5000:

1) You can no longer drag tag names across tabs - In older versions you could drag a tag name down to the bottom of the screen onto the tab of another open ladder, and the screen would revert into that ladder, and allow you to continue dragging to place the tag anywhere in that ladder.

2) EVERYTHING opens a new tab - It used to be that as you opened tabs, STs, etc, that each new routine would open a new tab. Cross References, and Tag Monitoring Sessions were not included. Once the number of tabs got to be cumbersome, a simple <CTRL><F4> would close all open routines, or all open cross references, etc. Now, there is no way to mass-close anything, and EVERYTHING opens a new tab. The best I could figure out was to right click on one of the tabs and select "Close all but this"

V32 is very nice for ST though... Unfortunately, very few of my customers are ready for ST...

I hear ya man. Although the new tab layout lets you CTRL+TAB between all open tabs, my workflow is accustomed to CTRL+TAB between the last open routine in focus and the tag database. Personally, I don't think the new tab management is an improvement, of course there are probably many that might disagree. I just have't found a good workflow with it.

I don't have the version in front of me at the moment, you can close all open "tabs" from a drop-down menu. Not the best, but it's something.

I hear ya man. Although the new tab layout lets you CTRL+TAB between all open tabs, my workflow is accustomed to CTRL+TAB between the last open routine in focus and the tag database. Personally, I don't think the new tab management is an improvement, of course there are probably many that might disagree. I just have't found a good workflow with it.

I don't have the version in front of me at the moment, you can close all open "tabs" from a drop-down menu. Not the best, but it's something.
I'm with you on that. I'm usually super fast tracking down problems when I can Ctrl+Tab between logic and cross reference, but now that cross reference is just another "logic" tab, it's slowed me down considerably. I also can't stand the way that once you run out of room for tabs on the top of the screen, it just hides some of them randomly (not necessarily the oldest, either) without so much as allowing you to scroll across to see them. And then when you start closing tabs, it doesn't bring them back in the reverse order.

I've just been commissioning a project where I had 8 identical program segments as part of a much larger task. If I had to make a change to one, I had to make it to all 8. On my smallish laptop screen with longish routine names, I could only open 5 tabs before it started hiding them, and once it does that it just completely breaks the workflow. Open them in the order 1-8, make a change to #8 and close it. #7 is now active. Make a change to #7 and close it, and hey presto, now #1 is active instead of #6 because screw you. If you don't catch it you end up find-and-replacing with the wrong array element and then once you work out where you are you have to open all 8 routines back up to see how far you got before it messed up, and now your tab order is just a mess.

So yeah. Not a fan of the tab management on v32. Needs a LOT of work.