Electrical Design Software for PLCs

Sham

Hi All,

Can you guys please guide me which software are used most for designing the cabinets and cabling stuff for PLCs? For example, if I have to automate a facility, what steps shall I follow? All what I am capable/or exposed to is choosing the correct sensor, connecting them with the correct PLC modules, and programming the PLC (also integrate with SCADA if required/asked).

How is the cabling part done? Or any other steps that need to be followed for a PLC automation project started from scratch?

Thanks a ton

PLC cabling and wiring is not different from any other cabling and wiring.
Also, if you have a PLC that controls a machine or process, the PLC is just part of the whole system that makes out the machine or process.
Usually you have electrical schematics that encompass the entire machine or process. From these schematic drawings you would then generate lists, such as terminal lists, cable lists, components list, wiring lists (usually only when you mass-produce control cabinets), PLC I/O lists.
The configuration of the PLC and its I/O is usually a cooperation between the PLC programmer and the schematics drawing person.

A tip: Create a dedicated networking layout page in the schematics. And this networking layout must include everything that you can imagine could or should be part or the networking system.
First, it forces you to actually consider the networking at an early stage.
Second, it can be a god-send when you have to maintain the networking later.

The actual physical cabling can be relatively simple, or it can be a huge project in itself.
Depending on the project, you may have to describe the exact path for every cable. So you have to make a cable routing diagram and lists, detailing it in minute detail. This is used to purchase exactly the length of cable needed (cables are expensive), planning when to do what and how many personnel are needed, and dimensioning of cable trays (which also have to be purchased, planned, installed ...).

Cables and wires also have to be dimensioned for the load, taking into account the thermal surroundings, if they run parallel etc.. and voltage drop.
Some electrical schematic CAD software can help with all these tasks, more or less automating the process. Some other CAD software is more basic, but good enough for smaller projects.
There have been many previous threads regarding which electrical schematic software is best. In my company we use PCSchematic and E-PLAN.