SLC 5/05 Rack extension with 1746-C9 and upgrade to CompactLogix

Cajmccormick

HI guys,

wondering if anyone has used a 1746-C9 rack extender cable to connect 2 (or more) SLC 5/05 racks when upgrading the SLC to compact logix using a 1747-aentr. Just wondering if there is any issues with the cable when doing so..

Thanks

I worked at a customers that had 2 1746-A10 connected together last month, not sure of the cable they were using but it was working good, they had a 1747-AENTR in the first slot and in another room was a 1769-L36ERM controlling it, the L36ERM was a little on the overkill side if you ask me because they had a L552 running it before and they did not have any motion but I was just there helping with a troubleshooting issue they were having with a card.

Here's an excellent 1747-AENTR FAQ, RA Knowledgebase Article 471083 (Access Level: Everyone)

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/471083

The original v1 firmware for the Adapter only supported one chassis, but v2.1 and later supports up to 30 slots, same as the SLC-500 CPU or the 1747-ASB adapter.

The inter-chassis cable won't be an issue by itself, but specialty modules or power consumption might be, so check out the FAQ and user manual.

I have done multiple SLC 5/03 conversions with the 1747-AENTR module with multiple racks and it works fine. As Ken posted, make sure that you have the right firmware version. When configuring the properties, make sure the rack size is correct. So if you have two 10 slot racks, set you chassis size to 20.

A bit off topic but some good info below...

Generally when I install these modules, its because I'm replacing an old processor with a Controllogix/Compactlogix and reusing the existing 500 I/O. I use Rockwell's project migrator and I continue to have an issue with all the cards in slots over 10. The conversion works perfectly but when I download the program, all the cards in slots over 10 are faulted. Not sure why, but I have to delete all the cards over slot 10 and re-add them back in. Make sure and export all the comments before deleting the modules, them you can import them back in after you re-add the modules.

A bit off topic but some good info below...

I use Rockwell's project migrator and I continue to have an issue with all the cards in slots over 10. The conversion works perfectly but when I download the program, all the cards in slots over 10 are faulted. Not sure why, but I have to delete all the cards over slot 10 and re-add them back in.

Resurrecting this thread to firstly say thanks for the above advice. It likely saved me an afternoon of hassle.

Secondly, this is due to the Rockwell Migrator setting the communication path using a decimal value (eg 11) rather than the hex value (eg 0b) which is what Logix 5000 expects. I found this difference in the 6th byte of the "ConnectionPath".

I expect that manually adjusting this byte would allow migration to work correctly. But also a bit embarrassing that Rockwell tripped on something so basic.

Thanks for that reply! This will make it easier next month when I do it again! I knew how to fix it but I didn’t know why it was happening.