Weintek to Micrologix PLC

TimWilborne

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm doing my first Weintek project using a Micrologix 1400 PLC and need some help with my communications configuration. I am using the "Rockwell EtherNet/IP (DF1)" driver and I believe I have the IP configuration correct because I can read data from the PLC, I just can't write data to the PLC.

So for example I have a numeric object to N7:0. In the PLC it shows 123. I can see 123 on the screen. But if I try to set it to 0 or any other value, it stays at 123. For a split second you can sometimes see it change then it goes right back to 123 as if it is only writing locally then it reads the PLC address again and overwrites it. The PLC program is not writing to N7:0 anywhere in the program.

Any thoughts?

Just to make sure it wasn't Ethernet related, I switched to the serial DF1 driver and connected a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable between them. It does the same over serial. I can read but I can't write.

Can you send some screen shots of your setup? The model of screen, driver setup and one of your objects. I am using this with a MicroLogix 1100 and it works fine with a model MT8070IE.

All right this will have to go into the mystery solution book. After you said that you had use it with the Micrologix 1100 and Wientek tested my program on a Micrologix 1100 end said it worked, I went back to the shop and tested my program on a Micrologix 1100 it worked great.

Then I plugged it back into the 1400 and it worked great. The only thing I did was turn the power off when I left the shop. I know the Micrologix says you have to cycle power to apply ethernet changes but I can't understand why it would read but not we're.

Anyway, lesson learned. When it says cycle the power for Ethernet changes to take effect... you need to cycle the power for Ethernet changes to take effect.

Last edited:
All right this won't have to go into the mystery solution book. After you said that you had use it with the Micrologix 1100 and Wientek tested my program on a Micrologix 1100 end said it worked, I went back to the shop and tested my program on a Micrologix 1100 it worked great.

Then I plugged it back into the 1400 and it worked great. The only thing I did was turn the power off when I left the shop. I know the Micrologix says you have to cycle power to apply ethernet changes but I can't understand why it would read but not we're.

Anyway, lesson learned. When it says cycle the power for Ethernet changes to take effect... you need to cycle the power for Ethernet changes to take effect.

I still have enough fingers to count the number of times I have forgotten to power cycle a Micrologix after making changes to the Channel 1 config. If you don't power cycle it, it will continue to work flawlessly with RSLogix, but with SCADA and HMI comms it will sort of work, most times, for a while, long enough for you to forget what you did to cause the issue. I have seen those exact symptoms (read fine, can't write), but when you said you tried Channel 0 and still had problems, that made me think it was something else.

I have seen those exact symptoms (read fine, can't write), but when you said you tried Channel 0 and still had problems, that made me think it was something else.
Me too. I just wish I had given up and shut the thing down four hours earlier