CLX to PLC5

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all. I have been playing around on the test bench to try and get a CLX to talk to a PLC 5/30 through a DH+/RIO module using the PLC5 channel B as a remote IO adapter. (End result is to be able to delete all PLC5 logic and treat the PLC5 IO as remote IO of the CLX).
Every thing works except the rack is an 8 slot using half slot addressing which means I can only use the first or second half of the rack as the IO. In the CLX I can add as many RIO units as I wish (ie logical rack 0 and logical rack 1) but the PLC5 can only be set for one. What is the preferred way to do this? Do I map inputs and outputs to integer files in the PLC5 or do I set the "Discrete Transfer Input/Output Source" as the real IO. Are there any Rockwell guides on this?
Regards Alan Case

Last edited:
when configuring 8 slot chassis for 1/2 addressing first four slot is logical rack 0 & last four slot is logical rack 1.

Last edited:
Every thing works except the rack is an 8 slot using half slot addressing which means I can only use the first or second half of the rack as the IO

I am not following what you are saying here. When you configured the PLC-5 Ch 1B for Remote I/O Adapter you were also able to set what rack # you wanted it to use. This could be whatever rack # you want to use (not just 0 or 1).

As our good friend Praveen mentions, by using 1/2-slot addressing the chassis will automatically use the configured rack # for the first four slots and the rack number + 1 for the last four slots. So if you configure Ch 1B as rack #4 then it will AUTOMATICALLY use rack #4 AND rack #5. It is not necessary for you to tell it to use 4 and 5.

OG

I can see the data in the PLC from either logical rack if I configure the PLC 5 in adaptor mode for that rack BUT I cant see both racks at the same time.

Channel1B.JPG

CLX1.JPG

CLX2.JPG

Here i some pics that may explain it better.
Regards Alan Case

Alan,

If the intent is to remove the code in the PLC5, then why not simply replace the PLC5 with a 1771-ASB? The CLX configuration is simple and easy to follow. The only reason I can think of is cost.

I've only worked on one system that used a PLC5 in adapter mode. It's been a while but I don't think it was as simple having access to the I/O. I remember block transfers and configuration more like an RIO Panelview (which I avoid like the plague).

However, I did notice something that seemed off. You said the PLC5 is in an 8-slot rack, but your PLC5 channel config shows "full rack" which is a 16 slot chassis. With 1/2 slot adressing, that's 4 logical racks.

From the CLX side, the config is all about logical racks. A "full rack (8 I/O groups)" doesn't care how many physical slots are involved. To access logical racks that are part of the same physical chassis, you just make one entry in the I/O config for each logical rack.

Good luck,

Hi Mellis. I am playing around on a test bench so hopefully I can demonstrate how easy it is to access PLC5 IO from a CLX without having to purchase additional PLC5 hardware ie the ASB. I will check the full rack config in the PLC5. I assumed that the full rack meant the same as a CLX ie 8 io groups. Regards Alan Case

Edit. I have access to the IO as it is now but only for the first for slots of cards

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

I think mellis is on the right track, I don't have RSL5 on this laptop, but if I remember correctly, what are your other options where full rack is selected on you channel config.

Marc

{added} Australia, India, Ohio, and NH all looking at the same problem, now that is pretty impressive.