PLC5 using CLX rack via 1756-RIO

averellen

Curious if this is possible.
I am working on a PLC5 to CLX conversion.

Due to panel space limitations and time I need to replace a small PLC5 rack and IO with the new CLX rack and IO the weekend before full conversion.
My problem is I need to be able to utilize the CLX IO in the PLC5 program for a short amount of time.

Is it possible to use the 1756-RIO module as an adapter to the PLC5 (5/40C processor)? I don't see as such in the manual.

Thanks

First, let's be clear about the module involved: the 1756-DHRIO module doesn't have an Adapter mode at all.

The 1756-RIO does. It can behave as a RIO Scanner (the most common use), as a RIO Adapter, or as a RIO listener (the so-called Ghost Mode).

But it can't run the 1756 backplane by itself like a 1771-ASB does. It's an I/O module to a ControlLogix CPU itself, so you must have a ControlLogix CPU in the chassis or connected over ControlNet or EtherNet/IP.

If you have room for both the 1756-RIO and a ControlLogix CPU, you could run the new 1756 series I/O modules with the ControlLogix and use it to broker the data to the PLC-5 via the 1756-RIO.

You mentioned a PLC-5C controller; is the I/O structure for the controller ControlNet, or RIO, or a mix ? Is it a true PLC-5C (the old ControlNet Phase 1.25) or a slightly-more-modern PLC-5C15 ?

I was hoping you would chime in Ken, I see so many of your posts that get right down to a 1 or 0 answer.

The I/O on the plc5 (1785-L40C15) is RIO only. But the controlnet network is used for interlocking other controllers in the system.

I can add the CPU and the RIO (1756-RIO) module in the same chassis no problem.
I didn't see anything in the manual that outlines how exactly this would work. Or did I miss something?

Thanks

Chapter 3 of the 1756-RIO User Manual describes the "Active" version of Adapter Mode as well as the more-complex "Monitor" version of Adapter Mode.

The sketch on Page 62 is a good block diagram of how the module works, and the rest of the chapter describes setting up the RIO utility to accomplish this function.

If the existing 1771 rack contains analog or specialty modules, this is going to be complicated. If all the I/O is discrete, it should be very simple.