Panelview Plus Data Log File Transfer

Dustin11H3

Hello everyone. I posted about a week ago for advice on breaking into an older PV+ to get to the desktop. (HERE) I found that I really can't get to the desktop and that I can navigate via the methods outlined in the previous hyperlinked post. Now, my 5.1 .mer file is data logging some tags from the PLC. This data log is being stored on the CF card inside the HMI unit itself. I need to either:

A) Transfer this data to a USB flash drive by running a scheduled .bat file

or

B) Transfer this data to a network drive location (which I'm not sure is entirely possible to configure the network drive on this HMI) by running a scheduled .bat file

There may be other ways to copy this data over besides running a .bat and if you know of other ways, I am all for it! The reason I want to run the .bat is that if the CF card (or USB if I had it writing directly there) is removed while the PLC is running, the data log will stop and not resume without a restart of the app (which I would like to avoid). Writing the .bat is simple enough, the problem is that I am not able to find a scheduler in this version of Windows CE. Frustratingly enough, this stripped back version barely lets me do anything. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! If I didn't explain anything clearly enough let me know and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Thank you!

If you upgrade to at least FTVME 6.1 there is MEDataStorePlus ActiveX Object that will write to a Network Connection. I use it Log data to a network folder. Had to get blessing from IT but once that happened it works great. I Found it to very useful. Even use it with tag placeholders on screens loaded from parameter files. It does up to 100 Float or DINT and 50 Strings. I should also mention that we use PC Based HMI and that gives me the ability to map drives. I have not researched it's ability with PanelView Plus

If you upgrade to at least FTVME 6.1 there is MEDataStorePlus ActiveX Object that will write to a Network Connection. I use it Log data to a network folder. Had to get blessing from IT but once that happened it works great. I Found it to very useful. Even use it with tag placeholders on screens loaded from parameter files. It does up to 100 Float or DINT and 50 Strings. I should also mention that we use PC Based HMI and that gives me the ability to map drives. I have not researched it's ability with PanelView Plus

cwal, I cannot upgrade to FT 6.1 as this HMI is older and will only go as high as 5.10 or 5.11 (I can't remember which I have but it is the highest rev). Does this mean I cannot use the DataStore. If I could map a drive, this would be easier. Thank you for the idea though.

I would recommend the DataStore activeX.
Here are some options:

Data log to network driveIn FTView Studio, instead of logging to the PVP you can type in a network path. Ex. \\ServerName\folder. You will need to edit the MER file in FTView Studio to change that.
It's easy if the folder has no security. If it does, then you will need to use your Control Panel trick to add a Username\Password into the PVP. Under networks? maybe. it's in there somewhere. Just remember if the data log fails to write to the network file, then it stops working.

BAT file
Not recommended during a running project. While you copy the file to the CF card, the data log cannot be written to. The PVP only writes to the data log every 30 seconds (or 100 data points, whichever is first) so the timing is not likely but is possible. If the data log fails to write to file, then it stops working.

Datastore ActiveX
In versions 5 and older, you needed to go to the RA knowledgebase to download the activeX controls. Not sure they are there anymore, but I bet you could send tech support an email and ask them to send you the PVP v5 datastore activeX control.
That only lets you log data, and does not work with the trend object.
You can look at the below technote for latest version to get an idea of what that activeX does (everyone access)
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/520349

The technote tells you about mapped drives, but it doesn't help you. You would still need to edit the MER, in which case you could just type the full network share anyway.

arlen

Do you think my best option is to write directly to the network or to use the DataStore? This is a small test unit with no critical data really being sent. What I would really like it to have a push button on the HMI that they could press and send the data to the server on command.

I would use the DataStore activeX, which also saves data into plain text CSV format.
You can still have that save files to a network share directly.

Otherwise just setup the built-in data logging feature to write directly to a network shared folder (as you can assume your network reliable in your test setup).

Arlen

I have found the article on Rockwell with the software you talked about for the older PV+ HERE

You do need TechConnect to view it though so if you do not have I apoligize. It is ticket: "35155 - DataStorePlus ActiveX Control for View Machine Edition"

I downloaded the latest version of this and now my activeX MEDataStorePlus icon shows up when running my app, which is GREAT! However, when I use the little control trick to browse to my location, I am not seeing the .csv file. I do not know why it refuses to log. However, when I disabled the data logging button I have and then set the log high, that rising edge caused the file to be created and log. I think I may have what I want. I will post an update shortly!

If you look under the Advanced Tab. You can create a template. This will allow you to use custom headers for your data file. Instead of the default tags.

If you look under the Advanced Tab. You can create a template. This will allow you to use custom headers for your data file. Instead of the default tags.

cwal, how do I create a template? This would be nicer to have something that isn't a long string and instead say "Diameter" or whatever the application calls for!

map to folder location and make a .csv file that contains your headers. I put mine in the same folder on the network where I store my files. Z:\DatastoreFolder\MyTemplate.csv
Also there is a radio button to Hide Datastore object on the general page. Object must be active to work. Meaning if you HMI is on a different page than the Object then it won't write. I'm guessing these features are available with the older version. I am speaking of the 6.1 version I have not used the V5 object.
I also use multiple Datastore objects to put my information in stacked rows instead of across columns. It also allows me to use multiple triggers in different objects to write to the same csv file. I actually have 40 Datastore objects on one page(hidden) to write and build my csv file. I track tool hits on machines. Each page contains up to 40 tools. Depending on selection of tool count to be reset i use each object trigger to write my data. This allows me to create my headers and place values in rows under each header. Also on the General page it gives me the option to list String Data first or analog data. You also have a handshake bit that allows you to know when information transfer is complete.

I also use this method I learned about here.
http://theautomationblog.com/datastore-plus-step-by-step-setup-in-factorytalk-viewstudio/

Everyone,

I have successfully implemented the DataStore Plus by installing from the above mentioned article. I had to manually force the install as the older PV+ are stubborn. I ran the .bat file directly from the CMD window. From here, I added the ActiveX control to my bottom navigation bar (which is always floating) so that it would be recording constantly as was discussed. I learned that you must start the trigger bit in the zero position and then bring it high to activate the DSP feature. I also successfully got my template to take hold. Everything is working very well except one issue. I have encountered what I believe is a hardware issue. When the DSP is running, the HMI seems to be quite laggy and slow (like it's CPU is being consumed by the DSP). When I turn DSP off, the HMI is quick and normal in its repsonse. Currently, I have my DSP to record every one second. I need it to record quickly so that we may obtain the necessary data points. Does anyone know if there is a way to improve (besides upgrading to a newer PV+) this or will I have to live with it. Thanks for all the help!

The Only thing that comes to mind is your update rate on the display page. I set mine to .05 or .25 The Default is 1 second.

You could monitor the Handshake Bit with a RTO Timer to determine how long the DSP takes to complete.

Are you writing to the local PanelView Plus memory? or a network/CF card location?

Writing to a network location will take time > time writing to the CF or USB memory > time writing to local PVP storage memory.

Make sure you are writing to the local PanelView Plus memory first, get the timings working as you need. Then try writing directly to other locations.

Are you writing to the local PanelView Plus memory? or a network/CF card location?

Writing to a network location will take time > time writing to the CF or USB memory > time writing to local PVP storage memory.

Make sure you are writing to the local PanelView Plus memory first, get the timings working as you need. Then try writing directly to other locations.

I am writing to CF and then going to use USB methods to transfer this file. I will be disabling the data logging before transfer. This is the method I have to take due to other restrictions.

Arlen

I have found the article on Rockwell with the software you talked about for the older PV+ HERE

You do need TechConnect to view it though so if you do not have I apoligize. It is ticket: "35155 - DataStorePlus ActiveX Control for View Machine Edition"

I downloaded the latest version of this and now my activeX MEDataStorePlus icon shows up when running my app, which is GREAT! However, when I use the little control trick to browse to my location, I am not seeing the .csv file. I do not know why it refuses to log. However, when I disabled the data logging button I have and then set the log high, that rising edge caused the file to be created and log. I think I may have what I want. I will post an update shortly!

Could someone please send or share this file ??